• Help Support TNDeer:

resizing brass

Every once in a while, I will have a case that is a little hard to bolt down in the gun when it has been reloaded. I always check OAL. I am referring to full length sizing. Does anyone else have this problem, and what causes it?

I have a 6BR that does the same thing. What I've had to do is use my Wilson neck sizer, then a Redding Full length body die, then a small base die. It takes a little longer but it's worth it in the end. I don't have to do this every reload, but probably around every third time the brass is loaded.

Usually if you find the bolt opens fairly easily and it gets hard to open up high it is the base of the case has not been sized enough, maybe neck sized and needs partial FL sizing. Now if the bolt is hard to close all the way down it is long headspace and the neck/shoulder needs a bump to make life easier.

cleatus2506, your smith must have used a really small dimention reamer on your chamber. I had to buy a SB 243 FL die to size the base enough on my 6BR. My S-type Redding FL die will bump the shoulder but not size the base enough.

Yeah Tim, I had a tight-neck gun built. It actually has a .242 neck so I have to turn all the brass before loading. I can assure you that it will be the last tight-neck gun I ever build as I am not an ardent fan of brass turning!

TiminTN said:
Usually if you find the bolt opens fairly easily and it gets hard to open up high it is the base of the case has not been sized enough, maybe neck sized and needs partial FL sizing. Now if the bolt is hard to close all the way down it is long headspace and the neck/shoulder needs a bump to make life easier.

cleatus2506, your smith must have used a really small dimention reamer on your chamber. I had to buy a SB 243 FL die to size the base enough on my 6BR. My S-type Redding FL die will bump the shoulder but not size the base enough.

Well said Tim
Your the Man!
Thanks for reminding us Hunters HillbillyHunter to always check again if you reloads cycle right, esp if you are hunting around dangerous game

I have been building tight neck rifles for hunting since 1991. I seems a lot easier now than it used to.
I just get carried away with accuracy. The custom barrels, great smith work, need really great handloads to show them off. I want to be as strong as the rest of the chain, and not the weakest link.

Back