• Help Support TNDeer:

Round Ball/Inline

FULLDRAWXX75

With all the talk of who is using what bullet and powder type and form and brand.............................

I am just curious if anyone has tried a patch and round ball with their inline. If so, what were the results.

I have a Hawkens .54 cal I stay strictly round ball with, I have an Omega that I am trying some different rounds with, so far I actually like the TC lead hollow pts the best.

But, back to my original question. I have found that the new sabot bullets don't appear to expand as well as the lead or round balls do.

Any input...................

FDXX75

My inline shoots several bullets well. Most do not have the correct twist for a ball. The esayiest one that will shoot 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. Is Baffalo Bullets Ball-et. It is ball on top and bullet on the bottom. It has knurls and is pre lubed. No need for a patch. The knurls take on the shape of your guns rifleing when it is rammed in. I use 2 50 grain pellets .It is a 245 grain bullet. Excellent preformance out of several different guns. No plastic to foul your barrel.

renegade50 said:
tc break away sabots with 240 gr xtp bullets part # 8225 on their website. tc has the pattent locked up and it is the only one of its type on the market. their is a reason all other sabots are 1 peice cup design and this is it, if they could manufacture something along the lines of tc 's product they would but cant till the pattent expires.
The one piece sabot was on the market before TC ever came out with their break away sabot. Also check and see which kind has the biggest sales. Don't believe it is the break away.

Sometimes an inline will shoot roundballs real well. You will just have to try and see if yours will. Usually the twist is too fast.

I don't really care who came out with a sabot (either style) first or anything about a sabot right now.

The question was about a patch and round ball.

If you have tried one and had any input...............

So before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and wants to jump me, read the initial question. If I want to know about the sabots I can read the 20 some odd threads already posted.

FDXX75

Each shaped object generally keeps a "truer" flight with a different spin-rate. Perfectly circular objects (round-ball) usually fly best with a slow spin-rate. That's why competition round-ball guns often have custom barrels with very slow twist-rates, such as 1:66 or even 1:88. Large diameter, heavy lead conicals generally fly best with faster twist rates, such as 1:38. That's why the orginal Hawkins-type guns almost always came with a 1:48 twist, which was intended to be compromise between a good lead conical gun and a good round-ball gun. Pistol bullets, which are often used with plastic sabbots in inline MZs, fly best with faster twists, such a 1:24, and that's why you see so many mondern inlines with twist-rates from 1:20 to 1:28.

All that said, every MZ is unique. You might find round-balls fly perfectly well from an inline with a fast twist. But on average they will fly best with a very slow twist-rate.

Back