• Help Support TNDeer:

roundup ready "sweet corn seed"

I wouldn't grow anything roundup ready anyway... Don't want to grow my own food that has genes spliced from other organisms.... You can find that at Kroger like you said. I'd stick to the real sweet corn

catman529 said:
I wouldn't grow anything roundup ready anyway... Don't want to grow my own food that has genes spliced from other organisms.... You can find that at Kroger like you said. I'd stick to the real sweet corn
I bet you have eaten round up ready corn before...
I just put in 90 acres of it..

Guess the seed companies figured out people were growing and selling it so they had to up their price to get their cut. :D

Genetically altered stuff doesn't bother me at all. The only thing I do on my own is kill a few deer and turkeys and eat them and grow some tomatoes to eat. Other than that, everything comes from a grocery store. I guess I love round-up ready corn.

pressfit said:
catman529 said:
I bet you have eaten round up ready corn before...
I just put in 90 acres of it..
everyone has eaten it, it's in most food at the store. I still ain't going to grow it myself.

woodsman87 said:
Genetically altered stuff doesn't bother me at all. The only thing I do on my own is kill a few deer and turkeys and eat them and grow some tomatoes to eat. Other than that, everything comes from a grocery store. I guess I love round-up ready corn.
amen brother!!

BamaProud said:
I don't really understand why people tend to think genetically altered equals bad/dangerous.

I don't think that at I also do not understand. I don't see a problem in using science and technology to help out.

What would the farmers do if there wasn't round-up ready crops? Seems like it would be a nightmare.

Because it is something to be different about and let them stand out! Something to raise there voice at in a conversation, even though they have no clue what they speak of! With out glyphosate tolerant crops America couldn't feed itself , weeds rob yield period . On top of that farmers have to produce a lot food in a small space, with new neighborhoods complaining about there tractors , and the smell and how there going to grow 3 arms from the chemicals you spray on your fields.Back in the day a good corn yield was 50 bushels to the acre now avg corn yields are 150 bushels to the acre you could not do that without GMO crops! And you defiantly couldn't feed glutinous America without GMO crops . I read a survey that was taken at a organic grocery store , the question was " Did you wear your seatbelt driving to shop today? " 7 out of 10 said NO ! And that's what ill end on!

how many things have been declared safe and beneficial by the government that have been determined to be harmful if not downright deadly??

I don't think I want to be the first kid on the block to use something new based on what the government says about it.

Beekeeper said:
how many things have been declared safe and beneficial by the government that have been determined to be harmful if not downright deadly??

To me that's the issue right there. GMO/hybrids/altered crops may be fine and then again years down the road they might create a super species of bug or create a species of vegetable that over time becomes completely intolerable to common diseases that many natural/heirloom (whatever you want to call it) varieties can overcome. Who knows? But, we can guarantee growing a crop the way our great grand parents did probably removes all risk. All I know is, for me, I wouldn't grow anything "round-up ready" for my own consumption and I don't.

I equate this issue to some of the vaccines they gave children 50 years ago. The entire medical community believed they were completely safe and assured parents they were harmless, but over the years we realized we were wrong in some cases and in some of the combinations. Vaccines have been improved and altered over the years because of some of the risks we later discovered...and they're still working on them. My point is we just don't know.

Hybrids are not genetically altered. They are just a controlled cross between two distinct parents.
There are lots of selective herbicides that allow us to produce food without using Roundup-Ready genetics. It just makes it easier for the farmer. We now are seeing quite a bit of glyphosate-resistant weeds showing up in row-crops, like pigweed and marestail. Not taking sides, but there are perils in putting all your eggs in one basket. A lot of the glyphosate used here comes from China, so you KNOW it's high quality!!

My supplier sells two different brand lines of the sweet corn (Attribute and newer one). The main benefit is reduced insecticide use against worms.

There is a $250 or so (roughly) minimum amount and a stewardship agreement to sign. It would definitely make my life easier (if it performs as it claims), but a LOT of my customers ask and wouldn't buy it if it were GMO.

All I know is, for me, I wouldn't grow anything "round-up ready" for my own consumption and I don't.

you might not grow it but if you buy any food in the store from "pops cereal" to maple syrup with added corn syrup in it.. you are eating RR corn.... no ifs ands or buts about it....

Latest posts

Back