• Help Support TNDeer:

Rut vacation

NChunt1

So I'm trying to plan about 5 days in a row to put in for time off from work. I would really like to play it by weather and hit it during a cold front but as many of you know it's just not possible with many employers. I will be hunting about an hour and a half NW from Chattanooga. What dates would you guys take off to see some good bucks on there feet. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanksgiving week is always a staple for my time off to hunt, but I take off the week before and the week after a few days as well. Timing fluctuates in this area. I've seen seeking as early as mid Oct, and I've also seen it dead until mid Nov. But, Thanksgiving week has ultimately been the time to be out there for me, and close 2nd is the week after or week before. If possible, schedule a day off the week before to hunt/scout, and see if you see any movement. If none, take the next week and do the same, then be ready to schedule the rest of the week off if possible when you see some action. It's worked for me over the years.

Just looking at the calender 11/9-11/13 is a great time to hunt. I have a 5 day hunt right before Thanksgiving, but that was all that was open.

I think I might do it around the weekend before Thanksgiving week I can't take off much during Thanksgiving week so I think that might be my best bet

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I can tell you last yr in middle TN based on hunting observations, out the kitchen window onservations and most importantly trail cam observations that peak activity of mature bucks peaked last yr on nov 13

I'm about 1.5 hours northwest of chatt town. The best time to be in the woods here is mid December to the end of January. I rarely kill a mature deer until 2nd week of December. I have been doing it for 40 years and it hasn't changed.

You didn't say if you were hunting private or public. If public, I'd say first two weeks of November during muzzleloader. Not many people in the woods yet on public and the deer are at least running around good. Once thanksgiving week hits, public land gets hammered with people and you can have a hard time seeing deer at all. So if you are hunting private, then I agree with the thanksgiving week recommendations for sure.

redblood":1lmsrsey said:
I can tell you last yr in middle TN based on hunting observations, out the kitchen window onservations and most importantly trail cam observations that peak activity of mature bucks peaked last yr on nov 13
that's about the same timing for Williamson county every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TDW05 said:
Nov. 10-20 I'd be in the woods.[/quote
Same here, had a phenomenal amount of buck daylight pics last year on the 13th on different properties across a couple of different counties an hour north of chatt. A lot of those were chasing action , and 80% of those pics were between 11a-1p!

Back