• Help Support TNDeer:

Sauger fishing ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Does anyone sauger fish at KY lake?

I remember when I was a wee lad catching one at night off the bank at Piney.
I do remember, after I found out what it was, that it was the best tasting fish I had ever had.
Got a buddy that wants to catch one.
The way I understand it the Winter months are when most people target them?
Any tips?

The only other time I have caught some was when my son and I went with a guide and we set up on a drop off and worked spoons up the drop off. Best I remember we caught several that day.

Yes, Kentucky lake is a great place for sauger. We fish the mouths of creeks in the dead of winter, in fact Janruary is probably the best month.

theyve been in decline for some years on ky lake and the river between paris landing and pickwick. even some of my favorite spots in saltillo and savannah dont hold many keepers anymore. they come in waves with some good years and bad years.

the mouth of the duck and around morgan creek used to be hotspots. we used to catch them in the mouth of the big sandy in the summer, dont know why, they were just there.

there some folks that have been catching them now at cordell hull dam, good size too. the cumberland holds them and supposedly walleye, but i have never made it up there to see. i dont really know if i could eat any fish out of the cumberland anyway.

we usually go after them in february, sometimes late january. it all depends on the water temp. it has to be rising and in the mid 40's for them to spawn. after it hits anything much above 50 then they head back to deep water. most all places we catch them are around 20-25 ft deep in creek mouths and island points. i never understood why they like diamond island and eagle nest island near saltillo because they spawn in the creeks at night.

we use 1 oz hair jigs, usually pink and white, tipped with minnow and a stinger hook for short strikes, bumping just off bottom like you would catfish.

three years ago we did pretty good, all males and no females, which was strange.

Below Wilson dam was always good , just about when it's cold enough for the ice to form in your rods guides.

Build a nice fire along the bank to warm by and have at them!

I haven't done it in years but it was always fun!

Hair jugs (red head w/h White hair) fished vertical out of a boat tipped with minnows always worked well.

Mostly fished in the tail race or along the dams wall in late Winter at night.

Ive never been sauger fishing ,but do catch some in the summer.lm targeting crappie in the summer pulling crankbaits and usually catch some.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back