• Help Support TNDeer:

Savage Axis II Scope Mounts

rbreedi1

Picked up a new Savage Axis II 6.5 and got a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 coming. Looking for recommendations on mounting hardware for this gun. Thanks!

I just bought a set of DNZ Hunt Masters and they wouldn't work. The Axis are all long actions and a Vortex scope was too short to set in the rings even if I turned them both in so they would be as close as possible. Even if it fit I couldn't move the scope any to adjust the eye relief. I'm getting a Weaver rail and rings, even though I dont like them, for it so I can mount the scope and move it back for shorter armed shooters.

My experience with 3 Axis rifles:

The short space between the ring mounting holes will get you.

I purchased a Leupold base and rings to mount a Vortex but the same problem existed with Nikon, Barska, Leupold, a few others. You have to use a rail as the base and then play with the scope to get it mounted. The rail mounting holes can definitely create difficulties with you eye relief.

Some scopes can be mounted using the base mounting holes. For example I took the supplied 3x9x40 off a Remington and that fit.

You have to get a rail and move from there.

For the money the Loopie Back Country rail is nice. Cheaper than the EGW and made from better aluminum.
https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-backc ... matte.html

If your scope is short you might want to avoid extended rails too. That depends on how far back or forward you need to go. Using a Rail you can get by with lower rings too compared to bases like Warnes. I had to use mediums on my Warnes bases but lows are fine on my rail. Since the Back Country is true picatinny i would recommend picatinny rings but Weaver style will work. I think Brownwells still has a sale going on the TPS rings. Not top shelf but nice rings. The Warnes Horizontal and Vortex Pros look ok for the money in Weaver style.

With a standard Weaver rail and Weaver rings it took X-tra High rings just to mount a Vortex DB 3-9x40. I have no idea how anyone would mount a 50mm scope on one.

Here is a set of Warnes bases and Warnes mediums using a 40mm obj
UetR8y3.jpg

and a 42mm obj
y5Ryh3b.jpg

Now a set of Warnes lows on my rail and a 42mm obj. All depends how tall your rail is but the Back Country is taller than the Weavers ive seen. So it might fit a 40mm with lows.
ex9vC4F.jpg

Back Country Rail
100377.jpg

This is my 223 with a 6x18 x44 Weaver scope. I do not recall if those are medium rings.

The savage bolt lift also creates scope mounting issues.

Attachments

• SAM_0097.JPG
    SAM_0097.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,114
This is an Axis 6.5 with the Vortex 40 MM scope.

The adjustment ring is a near touch. I was gonna cut the rail...still might....

Attachments

• SAM_0098.JPG
    SAM_0098.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,289
Not sure how a MLII bolt lift compares but i have Loopie steel 2 piece bases, Warnes medium rings and a 40mm obj Swift scope with room to spare. Cant imagine why a 40mm would need xtra high rings to clear.

GMB54":1i71pzth said:
Not sure how a MLII bolt lift compares but i have Loopie steel 2 piece bases, Warnes medium rings and a 40mm obj Swift scope with room to spare. Cant imagine why a 40mm would need xtra high rings to clear.
You have to have extra highs in Weavers to use a 3-9x40 Vortex Diamondback on the Axis. With the Weaver rail and Medium rings the scope tube is so short the magnification adjustment ring AND the tapered part of the objective end set on the rail before they touch the rings. With the Extra highs the objective end clears the end of the rail by about 1/8 inch. It's a combination issue of the Axis having a really long spacing between the mounting screws and the Vortex having a short tube.

Gotcha. a MLII is based on a short action. Just a FYI, Sportmans warehouse has the DiamondBack HP 3x12x42 for $200 shipped. Just a tad nicer than the regular DB but its also heavier about 4oz heavier.

Thanks guys that give me some ideas.. anyone tried the DNZ Game Reaper? I heard they work great with the axis.. 1 piece deal with rings integrated.

rbreedi1 - Since you bought the Leupold, its tube is long enough to give you proper eye relief w/ the DNZ Game Reaper. Some scopes don't have enough tube length to allow the proper eye relief w/ depending on the rifle and mount setup. It really is about fit and fooling around until you get it. Love and prefer my DNZ Game Reapers. (I also have an axis with a rail and Burris Z rings. They have been a good set up.) Another suggestion is making sure you get the torque right on the rings and mount.

Easiest thing to do is get the weaver 1pc multi slot base and a set of Leupold rifleman med rings or if want a better set of rings get the Burris Zee med set. This combo should give you enough options to settle about any eye relief or scope clearance issue you should run into. This combo s plenty sturdy enough to hold zero for any normal human in any normal hunting situation. If you plan of a free fall drop from the space shuttle into hostile territory down a 5000ft cliff you might have he need to upgrade into specialty items but for most it is not needed.

Latest posts

Back