• Help Support TNDeer:

School me on bluegill and crappie

Daniel n

So I grew up trout fishing and when I moved to Chattanooga picked up on bass fishing. I no longer have a boat but want to get into some panfishing. Preferably eating size haha. I can go the ol fashioned way of float and red worms, but is there something better? Minnows, jigs, meal worms??? Most of my rods are string with 8 pound or better fluorocarbon or braid, except for 2 trout rods with 4 pound. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: School me on bluegill and crappie

I catch most of mine on a little jig called panfish assassin with a 1/32 jig head. Those and a few Rebel crickhoppers are usually all I take with me for bream. That being said, about all of my fishing is in creeks and smaller rivers.

For bluegill, I mainly use crickets under a bobber. We troll for crappie using minnows and jigs usually. Mainly use mono from 4-8 pounds in my rods, my wife likes 10 pound mono on hers. The odd catfish caught on 4 pound line on an ultralight with a cricket is a world of fun to get landed.

For bream a cricket under a bobber is hard to beat. I like an ultralight with a spinning reel and 4 lb mono. I use a slip bobber to make casting easier. In the spring when crappie are shallow you can use the same setup but upsize your hook and use minnows instead of crickets. If you like to chunk and wind a beetle spin will catch about anything that swims.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nothing like the dance of a bobber with a bream or crappie looking at a jig. I use a hair jig tipped with a wax worm. I use a 7 ft light action rod and a spinning reel with 6 lb mono. Use the rod to flip the jig and thill bobber to the spot with a fly fishing motion. Twitch the jig until it disappears. Commence fun!

True for all the above but it's hard to beat a fly rod and a popping bug over and around fish beds.

big bluegill and shellcracker act almost like big bass. most people can only catch them when they are bedding and just like big bass big BG and crackers are predators after they reach about 8". theyll hit a fathead minnow or a 1" lil minnow plastic about as fast as a cricket. after the first spawn theyll head back out to deep weeds and then stage on the creek ledges and deeper boat docks. this is why there will be a lot of bigger fish caught at the beginning of the spawning season and as steve mcadams says, "they perform a magic tick and disappear". not really, they move to deeper water.

fishing without a boat in a large lake might be a little challenging but there are times when you can do as well as anyone in a boat. when i was a kid we used to sit on the rip rap under birdsong bridge and catch a 5 gallon bucket full of crappie in early spring.

february-april. if you can find some cypress trees around mud flats, fish the knobs with a hair jig or meal worm. reason being, they gorge themselves on the lake fly hatch(midges) and later on the black caddis hatch. any imitation of these two will work tipped with a meal worm(i use berkley scented). feb-march at reelfoot used to be killer, until the over harvesting started.

may -july. the spawn. aint gonna happen until the water temps are consistent and around 70-72 degrees and sometimes crackers a bit before that. ive caught shallow crackers shallow at the end of march. the first spawn is usually the best.

BG like peagravel/sand mix. find a gravel bank and you will usually find them. if it has wood the better. crackers like the same areas but seems like they like over hanging cover like willow trees. crackers are like black crappie and small mouth, they are spooky. get too close and cause too much commotion and they move off to the closest deeper water. cracker beds are more compact and feed off the bottom, so you have to set a slip float to match or fan cast a jig and drag it until you find them and when you find them, cast around the same spot. even 5 ft off and they wont hit. if you catch some and they auit hitting, come back later and theyll hit again. they get spooked real easily.

as far as lakes and ponds, if it has a good LMB structure there will usually be nice BG there as well.

crappie is a crap shoot shallow and it all depends on a 60-63 deg water temp, (in april normally) and water levels that will get them on wood. they lay their eggs on wood. minnows or imitations on jig heads work.

one tip that i can give you is buy a swimming pool or trout fishing water temp guage and when you go fishing that will tell you if the fish are getting staged to spawn. usually north to northeast banks(south facing) will warm first in the spring and thats were i always start first in the spring.

just remember with big bull BG, they are prone to over harvesting and stunting in some lakes. weve found that the old way of thinking that keeping only the bulls and releasing the mid size fish and females does more harm than good.

Latest posts

Back