• Help Support TNDeer:

SD NonResident Waterfowl

Went a couple years ago for the first couple weeks in November, our group was planning a trip for this fall back again but schedules didn’t line up. Bring a dog and/or kayak, we had no idea how terrible the mud would be. We found some spots loaded with ducks geese cranes swans but with no way to retrieve our game unless they passed in front of us we ended up not being has successful. We lucked up and ran into an older gentlemen who was on a solo trip pheasant hunting with his GSP who let us tag along, that alone made the trip worth while. We actually even took him and GSP along with us a few mornings to retrieve our ducks. Good luck to you, and yes the weather did it all while we were there.

Used to go to North Dakota each year, and the first year caused me to sell all of my duck and goose hunting stuff and quit hunting around home. Totally different up there (back in the 90’s at least) than in the south. Way more birds, way more options, and way more fun. Canada was even better. I hear that much of the land is sewn up by outfitters now, which was really just beginning when we were going. Most farmers were totally against leasing to outfitters at that time, but pressure and economics and new ownerships have made it all a game. I don’t like it.

Went a couple years ago for the first couple weeks in November, our group was planning a trip for this fall back again but schedules didn’t line up. Bring a dog and/or kayak, we had no idea how terrible the mud would be. We found some spots loaded with ducks geese cranes swans but with no way to retrieve our game unless they passed in front of us we ended up not being has successful. We lucked up and ran into an older gentlemen who was on a solo trip pheasant hunting with his GSP who let us tag along, that alone made the trip worth while. We actually even took him and GSP along with us a few mornings to retrieve our ducks. Good luck to you, and yes the weather did it all while we were there.
We'll have a couple alright dogs and haven't decided whether or not we'll bring the boat. That will depend on weather having smaller water locking up. Glad to hear you had a good time hunting pheasant!

Used to go to North Dakota each year, and the first year caused me to sell all of my duck and goose hunting stuff and quit hunting around home. Totally different up there (back in the 90’s at least) than in the south. Way more birds, way more options, and way more fun. Canada was even better. I hear that much of the land is sewn up by outfitters now, which was really just beginning when we were going. Most farmers were totally against leasing to outfitters at that time, but pressure and economics and new ownerships have made it all a game. I don’t like it.
I went for my first time last year for a weekend trip hunting pheasant. The outfitters, for pheasant anyway, seemed to be paid-middle-man-coordinators who drop pins on private land you now 'have permission' to hunt. Could have just been ours. Anyways, we saw tons of waterfowl and started planning to fit a 2024 trip in. More research to come, hoping water and CREP land is good to us.

Brother lives in Pierre so have been out several times pheasant & bow hunting. Waterfowl of all kinds will have the MO River covered up. Lots of Corp of Eng land along river that people hunt. Birds have learned to climb real high before leaving river as they are going to get blasted at when they fly over the bank. They'll stay high until they reach feed area which is usually outfitter leased, then drop like a rock. Nephew & his buddies use to do pretty good getting in the roadside ditches on top of hills a few miles west of river and shoot them as they came over road (legal). BTW, they have weird laws where road hunting is legal even if private property on both sides, so brush up on regs. Don't ignore school action land for pheasants either. Weather can be hot, blizzard, or anything in between at that time of year. Good luck & enjoy!

Brother lives in Pierre so have been out several times pheasant & bow hunting. Waterfowl of all kinds will have the MO River covered up. Lots of Corp of Eng land along river that people hunt. Birds have learned to climb real high before leaving river as they are going to get blasted at when they fly over the bank. They'll stay high until they reach feed area which is usually outfitter leased, then drop like a rock. Nephew & his buddies use to do pretty good getting in the roadside ditches on top of hills a few miles west of river and shoot them as they came over road (legal). BTW, they have weird laws where road hunting is legal even if private property on both sides, so brush up on regs. Don't ignore school action land for pheasants either. Weather can be hot, blizzard, or anything in between at that time of year. Good luck & enjoy!
Learned about the road rules on our 3rd day last year. Talked to a local for a bit and explained some of our challenges. His suggestion was to drive around and "ground pound 'em" if you have to. Worked well

Back