• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Seed & Fert $

xatxay

Gentlemen, Gonna try and plant this weekend. What'a it going to cost me?
Wheat, Oats, 15-15-15 & 0-20-20
Already have 50 lbs of Red Clover.
Thanks

I was quoted $12.50/bag on bin run wheat at coop. I paid 22.00 /bag for rye and 49.00 bag for crimson. Didn't get fertilizer yet so no idea on those.

How many acres?

I just spent $1300 for seed, 1000# pelletized lime (for just one acre) herbicides/ surfactant, but that will cover 23 acres. Plan on spending about $750 in fertilizer in a buggy IF I get a good stand and rains are somewhat consistent. so thats around $50 per acre in seed and chemicals, not counting fertilizer and diesel in tractors.

50lbs awnless wheat/ 3lbs crimson/ 3lbs Balansa/ 3lbs ecotill radishes/ 3lbs purple top turnips per acre. Plus I found a bag of old buckwheat in the back of the shed I'm going to add 2lbs per acre. Dunno if that will even germinate, as it's over 3y old.

13-13-13 $14.95/50 lbs
Oats $27/50 lb
Wheat $11.50/50 lbs
Elbon Rye no price yet. Probably $23ish/50 lbs
Crimson clover $3.50:lb
At Sommerville Farm Supply

How many acres?

I just spent $1300 for seed, 1000# pelletized lime (for just one acre) herbicides/ surfactant, but that will cover 23 acres. Plan on spending about $750 in fertilizer in a buggy IF I get a good stand and rains are somewhat consistent. so thats around $50 per acre in seed and chemicals, not counting fertilizer and diesel in tractors.

50lbs awnless wheat/ 3lbs crimson/ 3lbs Balansa/ 3lbs ecotill radishes/ 3lbs purple top turnips per acre. Plus I found a bag of old buckwheat in the back of the shed I'm going to add 2lbs per acre. Dunno if that will even germinate, as it's over 3y old.
Do you sew that mix all at once or designate seperate areas for each. Im assuming you mix it. Was wondering if the brassicas and clover could compete with the wheat

Do you sew that mix all at once or designate seperate areas for each. Im assuming you mix it. Was wondering if the brassicas and clover could compete with the wheat
It's all mixed together. The brassicas and wheat pop early, the deer feed on the young wheat pretty hard. Hard freeze kills the radishes, and then clover comes on STRONG the following late Feb/ March. Never had anything outcompeted by another at those seeding rates (drilled)

Pulled my receipts as been a bit since I bought mine.

0-20-20 was $590/t bagged in spring
17-17-17 is $634/t bagged ( haven't bought yet)

Saluda wheat - $9.00/50#
Cereal Rye - $18.00/50#
Crimson - $75.00/50#
Dynamite Red - $3.00/lb
Brassica Mix - $4.00/lb

Had a couple custom mixes done too:

Throw & Mow (100#/acre)
1300# - $865 ($33.25/50#)
75%wheat/10%crimson/8%frosty berseem/4%fixation balansa/3%jackpot turnips

Clover overseed & frost seed
150# - $456 ($152.00/50#)
25%durana/55%arrowleaf/20%fixation balansa

Last edited:
How many acres?

Do you make that seed mix at your local co-op?

We just mix it ourselves. That way I can do last minute changes if needed (like may leave out brassicas this year of its another month before i get to plant to save money as late planting of brassicas are wasting money)

Co op can source it if you order early enough and specify awnless.
Ok. I requested Co op to order awnless last year but they never did. The person taking the order said they didn't order because they already have wheat. They weren't aware of awnless. Will try again. May be too late now though.

Ok. I requested Co op to order awnless last year but they never did. The person taking the order said they didn't order because they already have wheat. They weren't aware of awnless. Will try again. May be too late now though.
be sure to talk to the agronomist (at the pro/ag desk), not the regular employees who sell salt, corn, boots, etc. If your local co op doesn't have an agronomist, ask your local co op where the closest one is. Talk to that person to request the seed, and have it delivered to your local co op.

A lot of co ops are just used to selling VNS wheat, which is just generic seed wheat, usually bearded to the farmers for fall cover crops. Because of that, they aren't used to picky deer hunters who only want awnless wheat. But they can get it, and it's almost the same price.

If you will update this post if you find some local, I'm going to try a place in the morning and I'll update what I find out.

Latest posts

Back