• Help Support TNDeer:

sewage leak has caused a major fish kill

Forvols

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — State officials say a sewage leak has caused a major fish kill in a lake near the Mississippi River in west Tennessee.

Kelly Brockman, a spokeswoman with the Tennessee's Department of Environment and Conservation, said Tuesday that the number of fish killed in McKellar Lake in Memphis is in the thousands.

Officials say a broken sewage line is dumping up to 50 million gallons of untreated wastewater per day into Cypress Creek. The leak into the creek began Thursday. The creek runs into McKellar Lake, which flows into the Mississippi. Officials say the creek and the lake are not sources of drinking water.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-sewage ... 16205.html

I have only seen a couple of pictures in the news (same footage over and over) that show a couple of dead floating Asian silver carp.

I seriously hope that those invasive fish are the large majority of the "thousands" that have been killed.

Some of you guys from other parts of the state wouldn't believe the number of game fish in that river. It really is a shame that it's polluted to the point that it's not safe to eat, and I hope that changes one day (but not likely).

FYI - McKellar Lake is connected to the river (and used to be part of the flowing river, before the upper end of the "lake" was connected to nearby President's Island by a land-bridge. This may help explain the apparent disparity of comments about lake vs. river pollution.

Latest posts

Back