• Help Support TNDeer:

Shot thought

30-06 type of guy

Shot a buck yesterday evening right about 630. I had great blood with 3-4 beds. I got the good ol thunk and thought it was a good shot. After replaying footage I pulled and hit in front shoulder or right in front of his shoulder. He ran about 50 yards and just stood there then slipped in the woods before dark. Close to an hour before I got down to track. Found his last bed about 9 o'clock He poured out in the last couple of beds. We covered 700 yards before he went to private. Never jumped him.
IMG_7361.webp
IMG_7362.webp
IMG_7363.webp
IMG_7360.webp

Brisket hits leave intense blood trails and they bleed for awhile, but pretty much never result in death. The shot description and blood pics are pretty indicative of brisket hit. Tough break for you but in my experience the buck will heal up in a few weeks.
What I was leaning towards. Went back thru video again and found the wound.

I know right. Can't believe I pulled it that far over tho.

Welcome to the club. Nobody is above it so don't beat yourself up too bad. I have no doubt you'll replay the hunt in your head a thousand times and through it you'll figure out exactly which adjustments to make going forward.

Brisket hits leave intense blood trails and they bleed for awhile, but pretty much never result in death. The shot description and blood pics are pretty indicative of brisket hit. Tough break for you but in my experience the buck will heal up in a few weeks.
Exactly ...I'd say after it clots he'll live another day. Hate shoulder shots which I'm guessing he didn't mean to .

Welcome to the club. Nobody is above it so don't beat yourself up too bad. I have no doubt you'll replay the hunt in your head a thousand times and through it you'll figure out exactly which adjustments to make going forward.
I'm most def having Tim McGraw "over and over" going on right now. I got permission to check one of the 2 private lands he went towards this afternoon, so I feel a little better about it.

Dang, hope he lives and you get another chance at him bud. I hunted one morning years back and had a nice buck come by. I pulled back on him and let it fly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I hit him but as I got to my arrow it was barely stuck in a tree. I pulled it out and I found a little bit of pink on the arrow. I hit him but it wasn't a good shot with just a speck of blood here and there. I chalked it up to he will live and hope I get another chance. As crazy as it sounds that very evening I grunted and he ran straight to me. I shot him at 15 yards. I hope you're as lucky as I was that day and get him.

Dang, hope he lives and you get another chance at him bud. I hunted one morning years back and had a nice buck come by. I pulled back on him and let it fly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I hit him but as I got to my arrow it was barely stuck in a tree. I pulled it out and I found a little bit of pink on the arrow. I hit him but it wasn't a good shot with just a speck of blood here and there. I chalked it up to he will live and hope I get another chance. As crazy as it sounds that very evening I grunted and he ran straight to me. I shot him at 15 yards. I hope you're as lucky as I was that day and get him.
Dang you can't beat that. I hope so too. Going to give them a few days and try to catch them Monday or Tuesday evening

Back