• Help Support TNDeer:

Smallmouth

tree_ghost

I have an opportunity to fish a little this weekend on the Buffalo river down in Hohenwald. I've never fished for them so I'm open to all advise...gear, tackle, and tactics. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do a lot of river fishing but I have caught plenty of Smallmouth on our lakes here in Middle TN. You can catch them on the same exact lures you catch Largemouth on. Topwaters, swimbaits, jigs, plastic worms, and definitely crankbaits. Some say they tend to like vibrant colors more so than natural colors. I can't confirm or deny that as an every day tactic but I have caught some really nice Smallies on firetiger crankbaits in clear water lakes.

I probably wouldn't bother with it this weekend. Buffalo will probably be totally out of shape with all the rain we got last night. It can make for some excellent channel cat fishing though. The old time faves work, but dip baits are even better. As far as lures for smallies, I usually catch my spring fish on spinnerbaits or cranks. Don't be afraid to "deadstick" a spinnerbait and let the current tumble it along, then slow roll it back to the boat. I've put some studs in the boat with this technique. Summer is usually small soft plastics or topwater action for me,, with some spinnerbait and crankbait action in the shoals, then back to spinnerbaits and cranks in the fall.

MickThompson":3bqk48ht said:
I probably wouldn't bother with it this weekend. Buffalo will probably be totally out of shape with all the rain we got last night. It can make for some excellent channel cat fishing though. The old time faves work, but dip baits are even better. As far as lures for smallies, I usually catch my spring fish on spinnerbaits or cranks. Don't be afraid to "deadstick" a spinnerbait and let the current tumble it along, then slow roll it back to the boat. I've put some studs in the boat with this technique. Summer is usually small soft plastics or topwater action for me,, with some spinnerbait and crankbait action in the shoals, then back to spinnerbaits and cranks in the fall.
Yes. The buffalo is up and muddy and fast.

Latest posts

Back