• Help Support TNDeer:

Snag city

catman529

Since getting back into catfishing I've been eating through sinkers again... but the flatheads like snags, so it usually means I'm in a good spot if I'm getting hung and broke off a lot. Well the other night was a new spot with some trees both above and below the water. Problem was that every fish that I hooked was immediately hung in the snags. Other than a crazy heavy line, is there anything else I could do to try and reduce the chance? I wasn't getting bites unless my bait was right in the snags. I guess the fish just weren't moving much that night. I had one broke off a 30 pound leader on 20 pound line. Yea the leader broke from the friction.

I used to run 120 pound braid and a rod that could handle it. I could usually break a hook if I was hung up, but you might have to use the boat to do it. You could suspend a bait above the structure but he will dive back when you hook him.

I should have mentioned I hate braid. Maybe they just weren't moving much. I figure on a good night they should be out of the snags and looking for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SilverFox":1tc3z8s9 said:
Why not fish it under a cork?
I'm fishing the bottom 10-25 foot deep, I have thought of using a small float between the bait and the sinker, but the sinker will still hang up.

I picked a new spot yesterday and didn't have trouble with snags, I even got into a few fish, boated 6 flatheads

4a7a05209875a5828e62a36c5206318c.jpg

A lot of times when bottom fishing your bait may be in a hole in the tree branches that it's impossible for a fish to fit out of. I've set the hook before and it not move but knew it was a fish. After keeping some slight pressure on it I've had them swim out but that's in rock, not trees.

SilverFox":3blfoubx said:
A lot of times when bottom fishing your bait may be in a hole in the tree branches that it's impossible for a fish to fit out of. I've set the hook before and it not move but knew it was a fish. After keeping some slight pressure on it I've had them swim out but that's in rock, not trees.
yea I think that was the case the other day, I haven't gone back to that particular spot.

I started using big styrofoam slip bobbers to keep from getting snagged. Big bluegill will not pull them under. They're the ticket if you know how deep the water is.

SES":jy4shyxb said:
I started using big styrofoam slip bobbers to keep from getting snagged. Big bluegill will not pull them under. They're the ticket if you know how deep the water is.
you use these in rivers? I'm dealing with current or eddies that need anywhere from 1 to 5+ ounces to keep the bait where I want.

I've come to accept the fact that flatheads live around snags and fishing in a good spot will mean a lot of break-offs. So I'm just keeping stocked up now. Gonna start buying sinkers from a cheaper source, those small packs at academy aren't the best deal.

Latest posts

Back