• Help Support TNDeer:

Sonar - what is this?

TNReb

I am trying to get better at using and understanding my graphs.

Any thoughts on this image?

It's right off a deep ledge. The blips on the side imaging (in the water column) seem big.
534eb98926808f6f5bf9e435f6b43a8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

TNReb":1u0xf4sn said:

It's right off a deep ledge. The blips on the side imaging (in the water column) seem big.

Just guessing but dots on si and arches on 2d would be fish.Looks like a bunch of prop wash from another boat going through right before you scanned.Also i would say a stump and structure to the right on si,nothing tall though because no tall shadow.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

bluball":x5um61aq said:
TNReb":x5um61aq said:

Just guessing but dots on si and arches on 2d would be fish.Looks like a bunch of prop wash from another boat going through right before you scanned.Also i would say a stump and structure to the right on si,nothing tall though because no tall shadow.

I guess I should have been more specific... what kind of fish is this likely to be? :) (this is Old Hickory Lake)

Obviously nobody can be certain.

TNReb":2qtjdp0g said:
bluball":2qtjdp0g said:
TNReb":2qtjdp0g said:

I guess I should have been more specific... what kind of fish is this likely to be? :) (this is Old Hickory Lake)

I have found that there is only one way to be certain. Gotta catch one! I will be the first to admit that my si skills are lacking tremendously.

you are actually seeing 2 pods of fish, one on side image and one on 2d high chirp. blueball is correct on the SI interpretation. now to the 2d, fish are 40-60 feet deep and that translates to a cone area of roughly 13-20 ft directly below your boat, which means about 7-10 ft on each side of the xducer. a hard bottom with some silt or sand on the hump. the fish are big game fish since a couple have red hot returns and the size of the arch in relation to the high chirp beam.

as far as the type of fish, maybe big cats or stripers (if there are any in that lake). could be a mixed school of any types of fish. those small vertical returns at 20-30ft could be suspended crappie. the only way to know for sure is to drop a hook or a camera.

My guess is cats if I see correct there 40 plus feet deep . There not really schooled correct to be bass , there are also some on the bottom feeding it looks like . It could be drum , carp ect. Ask Richard sims his opinion on here

Im terrible looking for fish on a fishfinder,lol.I have no idea on type by the picture.Im usually just looking for bait and structure when on the water and try to locate fish by fishing structure at different depths.When i find some in a area i try to work it over though[emoji23]
WTM":3vmbd1wi said:
you are actually seeing 2 pods of fish, one on side image and one on 2d high chirp. blueball is correct on the SI interpretation. now to the 2d, fish are 40-60 feet deep and that translates to a cone area of roughly 13-20 ft directly below your boat, which means about 7-10 ft on each side of the xducer. a hard bottom with some silt or sand on the hump. the fish are big game fish since a couple have red hot returns and the size of the arch in relation to the high chirp beam.

as far as the type of fish, maybe big cats or stripers (if there are any in that lake). could be a mixed school of any types of fish. those small vertical returns at 20-30ft could be suspended crappie. the only way to know for sure is to drop a hook or a camera.

TNReb":1hogha3r said:
bluball":1hogha3r said:
TNReb":1hogha3r said:

Gotta ask is that a garmin unit,nice clear picks.I havent been around any garmin units.

large returns deeper than 40ft. its not bass, probably cats or other non game fish. But those little tic tac looking returns on the side scan is what a good bass school will look like most of the time if they are bunched up on a ledge. If I saw that same picture in 15-20ft, Id get real excited.

Jmed":1tghu2os said:
large returns deeper than 40ft. its not bass, probably cats or other non game fish. But those little tic tac looking returns on the side scan is what a good bass school will look like most of the time if they are bunched up on a ledge. If I saw that same picture in 15-20ft, Id get real excited.

Agreed about the bass comment. Unfortunately I'm lucky to find a school or 4 or 5 of those on Old Hickory!

Jmed":3pogqg07 said:

small mouth and spots can go that deep in summer. LMB can go 50ft on clear lakes when the temps go below 50.

im starting to think this may be a pod a big stripe bass, and they definately go that deep in summer. see where i circled, those are streakers that look like a tangled wad of spaghetti noodles, a common return signature for feeding stripes and whites.

TNReb":2418tz6b said:
It's a Humminbird Solix 12.

Havent been around a solix either,nice pics.Ive only used Lowrance hds gen 1 and 2,helix regular and mega units.

One thing thats not being talked about is DO. Stripers ideally like DO around 5 ppm to survive and thrive. If the DO is lower than that at that depth, then its NOT stripers.

No, im not a fish biologist, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

TenRing":3frokj9s said:
One thing thats not being talked about is DO. Stripers ideally like DO around 5 ppm to survive and thrive. If the DO is lower than that at that depth, then its NOT stripers.

No, im not a fish biologist, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

as do most fish, including LMB, bluegill, crappie, etc but prefer around 7-8. blue cats wont be caught in anything less than 6.

if i were to guess he took that screen shot where there is current, and where there is current there is no stratification or thermocline and the DO levels will almost be the same from top to bottom. thats not to say that other parts of the lake may have an oxygen defeciency deep where there is stratification. another thing im not seeing in the 2d is any sign of a thermocline layer. it should show up even if he has his sensitivity turned down a little but wont be as pronounced if he has it cranked up.

lol, either way id be going back to that spot and jigging some big spoons.

Correct WTM. Usually current there. Less thermocline.

WTM":3qjbw7b1 said:

I went back yesterday evening while they were generating, and found similar marks in the same location. Not near as many though. I started jigging a big spoon (2oz, 6"). No luck. I'll be back. I'm anxious to hook into a big one. :D

TNReb":isvdrkoe said:
WTM":isvdrkoe said:

I went back yesterday evening while they were generating, and found similar marks in the same location. Not near as many though. I started jigging a big spoon (2oz, 6"). No luck. I'll be back. I'm anxious to hook into a big one. :D

yeah im gonna say those are big cats then, or they may not have been feeding. the arches above that baitball looking signature are too flat and too fat to be other game fish. even crappie will have a sharper point at the top of the return. but that is relative to how long they are in the signal cone. a good down image can sometimes give you a clue.

Latest posts

Back