• Help Support TNDeer:

Spawn Question

NumberOne

I was fishing Kentucky Lake about two weeks ago (March 16th). Water temps were in the low to mid 50s. I caught two large mouth that both went a little over 4 pounds. Both fish had bloody tails (one had blood dripping off its tail). Were these fishing spawning or were they about to spawn? It just seemed odd with the water temp and the place I caught them. The spot I was fishing was just inside a creek, but not far from the main channel. It was just a cut in the creek channel with a mud bottom. Boat was sitting in 15 feet casting into about 5 feet. I don't know what they would have been spawning on if they were indeed spawning. Maybe a stump on log I didn't see or feel. Was fishing north of 70 bridge but south of Paris.

Thanks

Sounds like they were spawning.. not all will spawn at the same time.. you'll get some early spawners, a big main wave of spawners, then smaller waves later in the season into the summer. I have no doubt some bass have already spawned or are in the process.

males fanning nests, prespawn probably. a 1 deg change in water temp can make a difference. if the water temp is 53 deg on the south banks/flats then you can almost bet its 55 deg on the north banks/flats and vice versa. sometimes north facing banks can get warmer from southernly winds. like dude above said, they dont all spawn at once but you can almost be guaranteed the bigger fish will spawn first. was there any submerged grass or weeds where you caught them?

glad you found some nice fish.

You guys do realize that anytime a bass is in shallow water, its tail can get bloody/ worn. I used to have a bass in an aquarium and its tail stayed worn because their fins never stop moving and if they are on a rocky bottom....that being said I don't doubt some fish have spawned, but where I live on Chickamauga, I have not seen any evidence of any fish making beds yet. I have caught very few fish shallower than 5 foot so far this year.

Jmed":2gsv4fov said:
You guys do realize that anytime a bass is in shallow water, its tail can get bloody/ worn. I used to have a bass in an aquarium and its tail stayed worn because their fins never stop moving and if they are on a rocky bottom....that being said I don't doubt some fish have spawned, but where I live on Chickamauga, I have not seen any evidence of any fish making beds yet. I have caught very few fish shallower than 5 foot so far this year.

of course. it is only an assumption considering the daylight hours and water temps 2 weeks ago, hovering around 56 deg and a little higher in some spots. i wouldnt say the fish have actually spawned but this time of the year and water temps the bigger fish are slowly making their way up the creeks on KY lake on a prespawn pattern. unless the water temp is close to 65 deg for a couple of days they wont even think about spawning. seems like 2 weeks ago they were kind of the same on the chick:

http://tnfishingreport.com/fishing-repo ... tcher=true

Jmed":tmfl33w3 said:

Never really thought about that but it makes sense. The fished I caught though came from water with a mud bottom and a little deeper. The cut in the creek channel was about 5-7 feet deep. It was just odd. They probably were spawning on something hard like a stump or log I didn't see. These fish were an exception I guess. All the fish I have caught since then have been clean.

Latest posts

Back