• Help Support TNDeer:

State record trout question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
First and foremost I am NOT questioning anything about the record nor am I belittling the young man or the record.
I don't care if he caught it in a bathtub, I am happy for him.

The way I understand it the trout that TWRA stocks in places like Martin eventually die when the water reaches about 70 degrees.
Since the new record was caught in a "pond", how did the water stay cool enough for the trout to live?

Just curious about that.
Would a spring fed pond stay that cool?

Also I don't know how big the "pond" was either.

I was curious too. I'm no trout expert but was under the impression they needed cool water and moving water. Either way that's a beast of a fish, contgrats to him!!

I know of several spring fed ponds in that area that have trout in them. Notice Benton mountain in the background of the pic. The springs that come off that mountain are plenty cold enough for trout to survive in a pond fed by one.

agree with dawg, a lot of streams and springs in that area. like ruger said i dont care if he caught it out of a bathtub. sounds like the young man knew what he was, they said he fishes hiwasse everyday.

If the spring is coming from deep limestone karst bedrock it's feasible that the water temp would be less than 70. Most "groundwater" hovers around 55 degrees year round.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In mountainous areas it's possible to have ponds that aren't spring fed and still maintain cooler temps that would sustain trout. Elevation, shade, etc come into play.

Latest posts

Back