• Help Support TNDeer:

Stupidest thing I've done in a while...

TNReb

Went to the lake today. Didn't have time to fish much, so I was just going to ride around for about an hour and see if I could mark any spots for another day.

I put the boat in, and got on the trolling motor while I finished doing something on my phone.

Right as I got to the edge of the no wake zone, another guy came trolling by. He said hello and we started talking. I sat down behind the wheel while we talked for about 5-10 minutes.

He took off, and I cranked the outboard. I let it warm up and I gave it full throttle.

Yep.

With the trolling motor still in the water.

I immediately realized it (with a face full of water) but it was too late.

I guess the trolling motor was past her prime. She didn't take it very well.

Tore it to pieces. Not fixable. Well, not without replacing a bunch of different parts. On a 14 year old trolling motor, it's not worth it. The damage was actually quite amazing considering it all happened in just a couple seconds.

My wife didn't seem amused.

MickThompson":u9sg1y3v said:
I've done it a time or two but it never resulted in more than a bunch of water in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the boat used, this spring. My guess is that it has happened more than once over the years and enough was enough.

Dang I've took off with a TM before but no damage done. It must have been its time to go...now you got an excuse to buy a brand new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529":rej53cl3 said:
Dang I've took off with a TM before but no damage done. It must have been its time to go...now you got an excuse to buy a brand new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An "excuse" and "extra money" are two different things!! We are going to be out of town for a week starting Saturday so I've got plenty of time to browse Craigslist and such for a deal.

LOL I was fishing with tophat one day and he did the same thing.
When the front of the boat came down I honestly thought we were dead. :)
I had no clue what had happened.

Sorry it broke yours.
The joys of owning a boat huh? :)

ive ran mine for 50 yards. the bad thing i kept gunning it trying to get on plane before i realized the trolling motor was still down. no damage though. it rared that boat up like a wild stallion.

nitro_z17":brt3lydz said:
spot lock......just say'n
Wound up finding an Ultrex on Craigslist today and got it (mostly) installed.

Gotta get a plug wired and hook up the GPS and sonar units. Unfortunately that means I have to buy an ethernet switch. Spent more on the trolling motor than I intended, so I'm not itching to spend more on a switch. I'll probably live without the IPilot Link features for a while.

27d6fd839f0bca90777a924cebd02ea1.jpg

My stupid may top yours, lol. Years ago I borrowed a trolling motor for a drift fish running some trotlines on the Hatchie River. At the time there were a lot of overhanging trees above and below the water off both banks. The plan was to set the lines and run them again the next morning. I was headed down river when the trolling motor hit a submerged log and broke the shaft. After I got to the take out point I went and had it welded back together. The next morning I was back on the water picking up my lines. As I approached the area where I hit the submerged log the previous day I raised the trolling motor and locked it in the upright position while steadily staring into the water for the submerged log. I was so concentrated on doing that I didn't pay any attention to the trees hanging above the water. Yep, the trolling motor hit one and I broke the shaft again from the topside. Talk about feeling like a dummy...

Mike Belt":2rqzc0bv said:
My stupid may top yours, lol.

That was pretty bad! It sound exactly like something I would do. The good thing is I don't have these stupid incidents very often... but when I do... look out!

Mike Belt":2q4hfcw7 said:
My stupid may top yours, lol. Years ago I borrowed a trolling motor for a drift fish running some trotlines on the Hatchie River. At the time there were a lot of overhanging trees above and below the water off both banks. The plan was to set the lines and run them again the next morning. I was headed down river when the trolling motor hit a submerged log and broke the shaft. After I got to the take out point I went and had it welded back together. The next morning I was back on the water picking up my lines. As I approached the area where I hit the submerged log the previous day I raised the trolling motor and locked it in the upright position while steadily staring into the water for the submerged log. I was so concentrated on doing that I didn't pay any attention to the trees hanging above the water. Yep, the trolling motor hit one and I broke the shaft again from the topside. Talk about feeling like a dummy...

Dude, that right there is funny. :)

nitro_z17":1vl72yz3 said:

Man.. you weren't kidding. What a game changer this thing is going to be!

I got my boat out this evening for a short bit. I didn't intend to fish, I just wanted to make sure I had the Ultrex wired up correctly and all of that. I took my two boys with me to let them swim for a bit. And by "swim" I mean float in their life jackets. It was so cool to be able to hit spot lock and not have to worry about the boat floating away. Obviously the kids have to stay away from the trolling motor, but that's not a problem.

Even when we weren't swimming and they were wanting drinks or changing in to dry clothes or peeing or whatever. Spot lock. Not going anywhere. So useful!

Taking the boat back out in about 45 minutes to do some fishing.

TNReb":ogct022e said:
nitro_z17":ogct022e said:

Man.. you weren't kidding. What a game changer this thing is going to be!

oh man im telling ya! and the auto pilot :super:

i probably touch my trolling motor 75% less than i did with the old maxxum...seriously! pull up on a point spot lock it and wear it out, never touch it. move to the next point. yes, i love it :tu:

Latest posts

Back