• Help Support TNDeer:

Sunday blue cat

catman529

Finally remembered my scale and caught this one 20 pounds even. Still going for 50+ whether it be a blue or flathead but I won't complain bout these either. Hard hitting hard fighting fish. Cut skipjack on a 8/0 circle hook

1ca26e32b9c28307d287e88894dcd764.jpg

4e384083d3b6c4ce5ccb7c102c181467.jpg

Interestingly enough the tornado blew through that area 2 nights later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you don't mind draw a picture of your set up and how you tie the circle hook.tried using them a few times and lost fish. Or wasn't able to feel the bite

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

diggerak":2zosycxf said:
If you don't mind draw a picture of your set up and how you tie the circle hook.tried using them a few times and lost fish. Or wasn't able to feel the bite

thatd make a good google video.

Nice fish! Reminded me I have to buy new licenses now before I can go again. Uggh.

Circle hooks took me a while to get the hang of. I snell mine when tying on but the biggest thing I was doing wrong was not leaving a gap between the point and shank of the hook. All I have ever used was J hooks or baitholder hooks...and thus I have been, out of habit, trying to hide/bury the hook point into the bait so that the fish don't feel or spit it. You can't do that with circles....gotta have a clean space/gap in order for the point to catch the meat in the side of the fishes mouth. I almost want to use the term "shallow hooking" to describe how I do it now. Once I started doing that, the fish pretty much hook themselves. Before, I would lose 3 to ever 4 I had run/bite.

diggerak":2e1kwfym said:

I use a snell on the hook. You don't feel the bite, you just watch your rods. If you see a bite on the rod tip, then let the fish take it. If it's going to eat the bait, it will get hooked. If not, you're not going to hook it by grabbing the rod, you'll just pull the bait out of the fish's mouth.

Crow Terminator":2efd8vzf said:
Nice fish! Reminded me I have to buy new licenses now before I can go again. Uggh.

Circle hooks took me a while to get the hang of. I snell mine when tying on but the biggest thing I was doing wrong was not leaving a gap between the point and shank of the hook. All I have ever used was J hooks or baitholder hooks...and thus I have been, out of habit, trying to hide/bury the hook point into the bait so that the fish don't feel or spit it. You can't do that with circles....gotta have a clean space/gap in order for the point to catch the meat in the side of the fishes mouth. I almost want to use the term "shallow hooking" to describe how I do it now. Once I started doing that, the fish pretty much hook themselves. Before, I would lose 3 to ever 4 I had run/bite.
I snell my hooks and yes you do have to leave most of the hook exposed so you can get a good hook set. Find the most meaty/tough part of your cut bait and just run the hook through the corner.

Buzzy":2v6swyaa said:
Snell the hook so you complete the circle. Learned this marlin fishing on the top marlin boat in the world.
As stated before don't bury the hook.
DONT SET THE HOOK, let them run and they will hook themselves.

If you have a clicker reel you can listen until it's taking clicks then lock it in and they will hook themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pretty much the same for catfishing. Most of my reels have clickers as well

Buzzy":2jzje3ow said:
Snell the hook so you complete the circle. Learned this marlin fishing on the top marlin boat in the world.
As stated before don't bury the hook.
DONT SET THE HOOK, let them run and they will hook themselves.

If you have a clicker reel you can listen until it's taking clicks then lock it in and they will hook themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS

catman529":1tw4wfj9 said:
JCDEERMAN":1tw4wfj9 said:
Awesome! Do you keep these honkers?
nah I keep the 2-5 pounders and let the big ones go

That's what I figured and I do the same. I've always heard those big ones aren't worth eating, but I've heard others tell me they are good. Seems they are only good for the fight

Hillbilly Hunter":3t5jgsgs said:
Buddy of mine catches 50+ pounders every year. I can tell you you are on the right track with your bait and set up. Cut Bluegills Works well too.
I use cut bream all through the summer but decided to go with skipjack this winter since I was able to catch a few of em

Latest posts

Back