• Help Support TNDeer:

Tactics for scouting now?

utvol5

I hunt about a 100 acres of mostly hardwoods. One side of the property borders a lake and there is a medium sized clear cut at the front of the property with a thick patch of woods in the middle of it. There is one ridge that runs down the middle of the property. There is one big open field (no crops) at the front of the property as well.

In preparations for archery season how can I maximize my scouting time?

Should I strictly look for oaks near thickets that are full of acorns?
Where should I put trail cams this time of year? I have 2 cameras out right now, and will check them for the first time tomorrow. One camera is on a trophy rock and the other camera is on a small watering hole.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....I look forward to hearing from you guys.

your cameras are in good spots to inventory what is around. I would glass the tree tops to see where your white oaks are going to be most preductive then move out and glass the field edge late evening. When hunting keep an eye on the clearcut. Those big boys love those.

Cams are in a good places for inventory, but I'd say in middle of August find some good whiteoaks near the thick stuff if water is close great... Throw some corn around those oaks and see what bucks you get then figure out where to place your stand according to the direction the deer enter and exit your camera frame... I patterned about a 130" drop tine buck this way a couple yrs ago shot him opening day, unfortunately I never found him... It's the best method I've found for early season bucks in timber, now if you got good food plots you can do the same thing jus get right inside the timber, maybe at a good inside corner, same cam strategy can work... Summertime bucks are the most patternable, even mature ones...

You can also slip in just before season opens and listen and watch to see which hillside are getting hammered by the squirrels the most, many times those will be your preferences whiteoaks... This can change w in a couple days so hase to be right before season, jus be very scent cautious, slip in and out, usually jus takes a second to locate the squirrels... If there is a rub line on that hill even better. I wouldnt tromp around searching for rubs though. There may be some close you dont see. Thats just my quick scouting trick i use sometimes..I used this tactic about 5 seasons ago because I didn't know the land yet much less know where to hunt and I saw 3 8pts opening morning, but couldnt get a shot...

Scout for trails connecting your woods and the clearcut and stay out of there when it gets close to hunting season. Cause if you put pressure on them a week or so before the opener they will spend there daylight hours in the clearcut. I am just assuming that the deer are useing the clearcut as a bedding area and refuge.

Latest posts

Back