• Help Support TNDeer:

The one that got away...

Smo

Fishing in the Danville area the other day , trying to learn more about my electronics and looking for fish.

I threw out two rods and mounted them in the rear rod holders.

I didn't go far and had a hit , as I reeled the fish up to the top it made one short run just as it came into view .

It looked like a 3 or 4 pound large mouth.

After a short run the fish turned back towards the boat, as it came back into view I could see clearly
that it's the biggest Crappie I've ever seen alive!

The fish just laid over on its side and as I reached to lip it into the boat,
the line broke at the jig head......

Lessons Learned;

Put another landing net in the rear of the boat and change the line on my reels.

Wow.

I lost one last year, while bream fishing, that I never got a real good look at other than I saw it's mouth as it came up.
My buddy, who has crappie fished for probably 50+ years, said it was the biggest one he had ever seen in his life.
I am kinda glad I didn't get a good look at it.

Guys I'm 60 and have Crappie fished since I can remember and I've caught a few good Crappie.

We never weighed them back then , we just fillet them and cooked them.

This fish I had my thumb going into it's mouth when the line snapped.

I actually touched the fish but didn't get a chance the grip down as the line broke.

It lay suspended for me to make one last grab at it before it swam away.

It looked like the plastic water bottle sitting on the rear seat beside me would have fit in this fishes mouth.

The first thing that hit my mind was the 3 lb Mississippi Crappie thread we talked about the other day.

This fish would have easily fit into that catagory .

I'm still sick over it.....

I hate it for you because I know the feeling. I have learned that 95% of my lost fish come from not netting as soon as they surface. I still flip more than I should when I'm alone, but if I have a partner in the boat I'll wear the paint off my net. Best $100 I have spent was on a high quality carbon fiber net.

bass bay is a good place to learn electronics. a bunch of stuff submerged.

sorry man, that sure would be sickening. was it a black or white crappie? there are some nice heavy blacks in the lake just ripe for the taking but the only way people gonna catch them is longline trolling or casting. prolly the reason more people dont catch more of them.

this one was caught not too far from there a few years ago:

Smo":3esd2wy6 said:
Guys I'm 60 and have Crappie fished since I can remember and I've caught a few good Crappie.

We never weighed them back then , we just fillet them and cooked them.

This fish I had my thumb going into it's mouth when the line snapped.

I actually touched the fish but didn't get a chance the grip down as the line broke.

It lay suspended for me to make one last grab at it before it swam away.

It looked like the plastic water bottle sitting on the rear seat beside me would have fit in this fishes mouth.

The first thing that hit my mind was the 3 lb Mississippi Crappie thread we talked about the other day.

This fish would have easily fit into that catagory .

I'm still sick over it.....
Ive been the same,lost a couple gooduns last year becauseim to lazy to use a net.About 4 yrs ago a buddy hooked one on his side spiderrigging in west sandy. It got off before i could get to the net.Biggest crappie ie ever saw at the top of the water.Was kinda sick at first ,but it getting off just gave someone else a chance for an awsome experience.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

WTM":3opst6v2 said:

sorry man, that sure would be sickening. was it a black or white crappie? there are some nice heavy blacks in the lake just ripe for the taking but the only way people gonna catch them is longline trolling or casting. prolly the reason more people dont catch more of them.

Thats a pig[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

WTM":2nxdxdl5 said:

It was a black Crappie in 20 + foot of water.

I will check out bass bay, I'm running a Helix 7 si I bought last year but never got to use much due to rotator cuff surgery last Summer.

This fish hit a red 1/8 th oz. pony head jig with a spinner blade,with a black and chartreuse grub and a tuffy minnow on the hook.

Great fish in the pic looks about the same size as the one that got away.
The one I had on may have been a little longer but not by much and it had some shoulders too.

Sure would have made a nice meal .... lol

Only a few fish really stick in my mind over the years.... this one will be there from now on.

lol, thats the exact same jig i use. sometimes i may drop to 1/16 after a cold front. if you go to bass bay try to find the rock piles. ive had very good luck with black crappie on those.

anyhoo, ill be on the lake all this week and if you see a tracker pt175 two tone blue/grey stop and hollar. ive been known to give away a few crappie if your live well is empty.

fyi, the fish in the pic weighed 4.2. they guy caught it casting a black and chartreuse grub along the banks.

Thanks again , if I see you out I'll give you a shout.

My original estimation of the fish I hung into was 18 to 20 " long, it's belly wasn't too big but it was thick through the shoulders.

Sure would like to have a crack at another one like that.

As big is this lake is , I'm sure there's more than one out there.

Latest posts

Back