• Help Support TNDeer:

The simple old days

woodyard

Sometimes I long for the old days where all I had to fish with was a cane pole and all the extras would fit in my pocket.

Now I got one room in the house devoted to hunting and fishing and can barely get around in it. Not to mention the shop where the boats are. Now we got to have every imaginable thing to just go fishing.

I read a discussion on a fishing forum about at what point do you say it is enough. They were discussing the new electronics and the garmin livescope where you can almost see the fish taking your lure. I guess one of these days I may have one of those and the $2500 trolling motor as well. Sure would be nice!

I guess we have come a long ways or have we.

woodyard":1cyv0u20 said:
Sometimes I long for the old days where all I had to fish with was a cane pole and all the extras would fit in my pocket.

Now I got one room in the house devoted to hunting and fishing and can barely get around in it. Not to mention the shop where the boats are. Now we got to have every imaginable thing to just go fishing.

I read a discussion on a fishing forum about at what point do you say it is enough. They were discussing the new electronics and the garmin livescope where you can almost see the fish taking your lure. I guess one of these days I may have one of those and the $2500 trolling motor as well. Sure would be nice!

I guess we have come a long ways or have we.
Yep,times have changed,i keep saying im through buying ,then i buy more

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Good grief at the miles I peddled my bicycle from farm pond to farm pond to creek as a kid on fishing excursions! I toted a small tackle box along with any rod I could fit my little Zebco reel on. I caught more bass and bream and catfish than I ever have with my collection of $100+ rods and reels and multiple tackle boxes of assorted lures and baits while fishing out of my bass tracker.... and one fishing trip producing a stringer full of fish cost $1 compared to the $100+ trips producing 3 or 4 fish now. Good old days.

the difference for me is that in the old days a lot of my spots were either handed down from my grandfather, my dad or by days on and under the water finding new spots. the problem now is that those traditional spots are being over run by asian carp and pushing fish to new traditional spots. whatever kind of pheromone that carp put off, any other fish wont go near them and you almost have to have electronics to find them. the fish are adapting and if you dont adapt with them you will find yourself with an empty livewell.

When I was a kid they had nearly every stump and mat maked with a pole or cane in the Sulphur Wells area of Ky Lake.My dad and his buddies kept the mats freshened up that we all fished every spring. They had them in Swamp Creek,around Bobcat den, Britain Ford, Springville and Lick Creek.
Back then there wasn't no where near the fishing pressure there is now of course and I think nearly everybody knew everybody else fishing.
One of my dads buddies kept a boat on the bank at Tickle Thompson's in Swamp Creek during the spring and then he would move it over to the old Big Sandy river run during the summer for brim and carp fishing. I remember going with him there and stopping on the bridge on Hwy 69 and throwing the poles in the river then getting the boat and picking them up.
Talking about a fun time, catching a tow sack full of carp up to 8-10 lbs on cane poles.

I don't ever remember catching the size and number of crappie that you can catch now on the reservoir lakes in North MS. I don't know about bass since I could care less about fogging for bass. These are the good ole days.

WTM":j0aj4krx said:
the difference for me is that in the old days a lot of my spots were either handed down from my grandfather, my dad or by days on and under the water finding new spots. the problem now is that those traditional spots are being over run by asian carp and pushing fish to new traditional spots. whatever kind of pheromone that carp put off, any other fish wont go near them and you almost have to have electronics to find them. the fish are adapting and if you dont adapt with them you will find yourself with an empty livewell.
Yep i agree,but sometimes the fish are under the carp.I use to run away from a area i saw carp in,but figured out i was messing up.In the shallow water is a different story,i believe they have messed it up bad.

fairchaser":1zjbbh3x said:
I don't ever remember catching the size and number of crappie that you can catch now on the reservoir lakes in North MS. I don't know about bass since I could care less about fogging for bass. These are the good ole days.
Yep agreed

For me, my fishing has changed because I didn't grow up fishing lakes. I grew up fishing farm ponds and small watersheds. You didn't need anything fancy. Still don't for that type of fishing.

For fishing lakes, you still don't need anything fancy, but a boat helps get around quicker and an Ultrex helps me stay in place. Charts like Navionics and Lakemaster help tremendously. In the past, you would have had to spend a lot of time on the lake and learn the layout. Now any dummy (like me) can look at a chart and learn points, creeks, ledges, etc.

I still can't catch a fish!

I still like pickin' Crappie out of the tree tops
with my new high tech cane pole!

I grew up fishing a creek, a rather large creek , but still a creek.

We done a lot of cane pole fishing , mostly for shellcracker & Crappie.

It's still a lot of fun , and you never can tell when you'll catch a pan fish!

90-EC164-C-F0-D2-4-CC7-BB33-91-AF556-DE97-A.png

LOL I really didn't eat it !
But they do eat good out of cold water...

Smo":23i6fkqo said:

I see a fishfinder and a trolling motor. You are hereby disqualified from this thread!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spurhunter":1y24elmh said:
Smo":1y24elmh said:

I see a fishfinder and a trolling motor. You are hereby disqualified from this thread!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zoom in on em' they're half as old as I am!

I grew fishing in a 14' V bottom with an 12 horse Sea Horse outboard.
Bring your on rope!

My Dad would sit on the bow, skulling the boat with one hand
and fly fishing with the other.

And it made no difference in which hand he used.

Good Times...

Latest posts

Back