• Help Support TNDeer:

Thompson Center Omega

JCDEERMAN

I was thinking about getting one of these. Who all has one? If you do, how do you like it? Is there anything you dont like about it? Most all of the reviews I have read have been positive ones. Thanks

I have one and love it. Shoots great and cleans very easy. Alot easier than a couple Knights I had before. Not knocking the Knights they shot good too. But this one is much easier to clean. JMO.

Mine shoots awesome with 100 grains of powder and Hornady 250 grain sst. The vx2 on top helps too. The only thing I dislike is getting the breach plug out. I wish the barrel was the tip up type. I use a small ratchet and a extension to remove. I have put some small scratches on the laminated stock where the ratchet has rubbed above the thumbhole. But it is a killing machine. Very accurate. I use mine durring gun season most of the time because I love it.

I chose my Omega originally cause it felt so good in my hands. The outstanding accuracy was a plus. 110 grains 777 and 250 grain Barnes TMZ makes for a deadly combination.

I love mine. Very accurate. I wish I had not bought the one with the thumbhole stock (it was on sale). It is a pain to swing the thumb around the stock to quickly engage the hammer.
I had the Black Diamond before I bought this one. It was very accurate as well, but the Omega is much easier to clean.

Bought mine in 2003 and have not owned another since. Love it and have never ever had a single misfire no matter what the weather conditions have been(cant say that about the knight i owned prior to). Only dislike is what wa stated above, i also use a small ratchet/socket to remove my breech plug.

AlabamaSwamper said:
Much easier to clean...
I have never owned either (Omega or Triumph), but IF I were to switch back and purchase another black powder these days, this would be the #1 factor in my final decision. The reason I say this is because I cannot imagine the MZer companies making/selling a MZer these days that will not shoot 150 yards all day long with the right load combination. This cleaning part, or lack thereof, is the #1 factor why I switched to smokeless. Another piece of advice is I would not shoot anything other than Blackhorn 209 if I were to get away from smokeless.

FWIW, a good friend of mine purchased the T/C Impact January 2011 and has been very impressed with it. I have been very impressed with it as well. It shot great groups at the range out to 125 yards. All of his shots while hunting have been under 125 yards (3-4 total) and not a single deer has moved after being hit. He is using the exact load mentioned in the article below.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/thompson_impact.htm

Best of luck in your final choice.

Thanks guys. I too want somethng thats easy to clean. Just about anything will be easier to clean than my CVA. My CVA has cost me 2 great bucks in the last 4 years. I have only heard great things about the Omega's. They are $450 and I have $275 in gift cards to Bass Pro...so its kind of a no brainer to me.

And Ahuntin, I'm surprised you dont like the thumb-hole stock. I have actually been looking for one with a camo thumb-hole stock for a while now. I can only find the regular black stock or regular camo stock. The thumb-hole is just so comfortable to me. But then again, I havent had to pull the hammer back really fast with a thumb-hole stock on an animal before.

Latest posts

Back