Thoughts on this buck?

mossyoakmantn

Just got pics and videos of this guy. He looks mature to me. What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240621_213344.jpg
    Screenshot_20240621_213344.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 10

TheLBLman

Hard for me to say with any accuracy this time of year.
But impressive early growth if that's from this week!

Again, worst time of the year to accurately age,
but I believe this buck is likely 3 1/2 or older.

Note how long his legs appear.
Those long legs alone are suggestive he's not fully mature.

Ski

I've never personally seen a young buck grow antlers so early or fast. In my experience that mostly happens with bucks that are skeletally mature. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's not common and I've never seen it. When I see a buck with that much development this early I automatically assume he's old, regardless of size.

BSK

Looking at the chest depth to front leg length ratio, I'm going with 3 1/2. Now let me see him in late October and I may change my mind!

TheLBLman

Looking at the chest depth to front leg length ratio, I'm going with 3 1/2. Now let me see him in late October and I may change my mind!
Exactly!
I think there's high probability this buck may be 4 1/2, but little conviction for any older than 4 1/2 (at the moment)

But to "go by the book of BSK", 3 1/2 or older, 3 1/2 being the oldest age of high conviction.

Or put another way, the stated age of 3 1/2 is the age for which it's very unlikely he could be any younger than, while not ruling out he may be older.

Show the same pose in late October, good chance the guess goes to 4 1/2 or older.

Joe2Kool

Looks pregnant. Are you sure it's not a transgender deer? 🤣 🤣

Seriously, he's definitely got the potential to be on this year's hit list. I agree with LBLMan, 3, but could be older. But no way I could use all them big words and make it sound all scientific!

Latest posts