• Help Support TNDeer:

To bush-hog the fields or not?

LanceS4803

The farm I hunt has two long narrow fields at the top of a steep heavily wooded ridgeline (About 4 acres each, 600yds total width of straight leg.) In the past these fields have been cut periodically during the year. Deer skirt the edges of the field and use choke points to cross the field. I have the deer fairly well firgured out here and took a nice 140 typical in one field this past Fall.
This year the field has not been cut at all. So far this resulted in turkeys avoiding the field this Spring once the grass got too tall. Saplings are now about 3' tall.
For hunting, deer specifically, is it better to have the woods reclaim this land or keep it cut?

Untitled-1.jpg

Keep it cut or your pinch points will change.You have the deer figured out, letting the fields grow up will change this.

Cut some plant plots in the rest. I let my fields that I don't put plots in grow up for 3 seasons than bush hog in the spring to keep from loosing control. Generally the thicker and nastier the better especially if you got some plots mixed in,

Thanks everyone. Looks like a little mowing might be in order here.
As for wind, this ridge is an absolute bear on wind! Changes 180 degrees in a matter of minutes. Keeps me working hard.

Latest posts

Back