• Help Support TNDeer:

Toad in the hole

Tenntrapper

No pics, but it turned out like Steve's did...

Watching meateater last night. It was a cooking special. He made something called toad in the hole.
Basically...butter some bread, both sides. Use a cookie cutter or glass and cut a 2" diameter hole in the bread. Put in hot skillet (I used cast iron) and crack an egg into the hole. Let toast brown, and egg cook. I imagine would be hard to overcook, as your toast would be burned up.
Maybe it's a Midwestern thing, but I never heard of it. Turned out pretty good...just eggs and toast...but pretty creative none the less.

Anyone else do this?

Edit...just remembered that I did take a pic...when I first started it.

IMG_20241020_064946.webp

Last edited:

Watching meateater last night. It was a cooking special. He made something called toad in the hole.
Basically...butter some bread, both sides. Use a cookie cutter or glass and cut a 2" diameter hole in the bread. Put in hot skillet (I used cast iron) and crack an egg into the hole. Let toast brown, and egg cook. I imagine would be hard to overcook, as your toast would be burned up.
Maybe it's a Midwestern thing, but I never heard of it. Turned out pretty good...just eggs and toast...but pretty creative none the less.

Anyone else do this?
I once tried an 18th century English version of toad in the hole. It was biscuit dough with little balls of ground sausage arranged in a circle so it could be cut into pie shapes. Baked in an oven . Turned out pretty bad actually. The result was half cooked biscuit dough with blobs of very greasy meat in it.

Anyone else do this?
It's English/British and it sounds like you done a closer version to the original versus what B A S T A R D variations are out there now :rolleyes:

We call it egg in the basket. We do it often. I sprinkle a little sugar on top and it kind of caramelizes when you flip it. All the holes you cut out, I do the same with them. Pour a little maple syrup on top similar to a waffle or pancake and it's delicious. Super healthy too! Well maybe not, but delicious!

Latest posts

Back