• Help Support TNDeer:

Too hot to fish…..

redblood

The farms are keeping me busy dealing with the heat and drought. Got everything sprayed and bushhogged. Got the oil changed in the tractors mowers and atvs. Got all the cell cams yeateeday.Bush hogging is done. Totally caught up here now- but being out in the heat all day everyday, not much interest in sweating on the lake or river . The bite has been great, but i have plenty of crappie . Ready for fall. Anyone else still chaing fish? Forum
Been kind of flat recently.

Son and I chased these down today! Lost two good ones at the boat. Biggest walleye was 20". 7407FA5D-6B23-447A-AD74-50EA64AE3C15.webp

I've been quite a bit but I am weary of posting too much. I give the highlite notes if something cool or big happens but that's about it. I generally go 3 or 4 times a week. All I caught on my last trip was several drum and white bass.

Been fishing.. but not a lot of catching. The big fish have gotten hard to find around here.

Heading to Dale Hollow tomorrow night. Temp is going to be near 60 - it'll be a welcome break from the heat.

Heat indices mid 110s here started 3w ago and won't abate for another 6 weeks. Doesn't slow me down, I just launch at first light and am done by noon.

Water temps in the gulf are up to 88 along the coast. It really hurts artificial bait fishing. I'll prob pick up a couple dozen live croaker and use those Saturday. I don't enjoy freelining live bait, but it's the most effective technique for really high water temps.

Just put a new unit on the boat this afternoon. Been out of the crappie game for a few years, my little boy has been asking to go. Figured it was time to get him on the water.

Heat indices mid 110s here started 3w ago and won't abate for another 6 weeks. Doesn't slow me down, I just launch at first light and am done by noon.

Water temps in the gulf are up to 88 along the coast. It really hurts artificial bait fishing. I'll prob pick up a couple dozen live croaker and use those Saturday. I don't enjoy freelining live bait, but it's the most effective technique for really high water temps.
I try to be on the water by 6/30. Last few times we had our self imposed limits by 10. But it was getting miserable by the time we got off water. . Gonna go friday igonna use the cooler weather tomorrow to finish up last little bit of bushhogging. I fish betwr knowing all the work is done

It's super important to stay hydrated when fishing in the heat. 1 16oz bottle of water per hour is my rule of thumb.

And the new cooling fabrics do a great job of letting the sweat evaporate to further cool.

But still, the hot water temps affect my fish a lot... but shrimp will start migrating soon and cooler temps will be here before long!

No such thing as too hot to fish. If you get hot jump in the water, problem solved
Great in theory, but not very inviting when you are seeing a 14' Hammerhead swim by the skiff.

I started to get overheated out on Florida Bay the other day. I told my guide I needed to sit down and hydrate a little better. To kill the time, he took the rod to play a little (at my suggestion). About five minutes later he was insisting I take the rod on a 70# tarpon. I fought it to the boat and got hot all over again.

Great in theory, but not very inviting when you are seeing a 14' Hammerhead swim by the skiff.

I started to get overheated out on Florida Bay the other day. I told my guide I needed to sit down and hydrate a little better. To kill the time, he took the rod to play a little (at my suggestion). About five minutes later he was insisting I take the rod on a 70# tarpon. I fought it to the boat and got hot all over again.
I had a similar experience in Key West Harbor one time chumming tarpon with shrimp trash. I was maybe 10 or 11 years old and my dad wouldn't let me take the rod from the guide. His rule was whoever was holding the rod got the fish.

To our surprise the guide caught a permit that was no less than 45lbs. It was the fish of a lifetime caught on a piece of dead bait.

I had a similar experience in Key West Harbor one time chumming tarpon with shrimp trash. I was maybe 10 or 11 years old and my dad wouldn't let me take the rod from the guide. His rule was whoever was holding the rod got the fish.

To our surprise the guide caught a permit that was no less than 45lbs. It was the fish of a lifetime caught on a piece of dead bait.
Yeah, I really didn't want the rod that day, but took it to get the experience gained from fighting another one. Once I got her to the boat I didn't waste a lot of time and energy getting her to roll over. She was still pretty green when he leadered her.

Latest posts

Back