• Help Support TNDeer:

Tournament fishing

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Guess this is a good time to talk about this since the big tournament is going on at KY lake.
I know the "local" tournaments couldn't do it and I have asked this before and the prominent answer was it would drive down attendance & tv ratings.

However, since the final day of this tournament is on a Monday, attendance at the final weigh-in is obviously a non-issue and of no importance to the tournament, in terms of the people that run it and make money off of it.

So why couldn't all the "big" tournaments to go a format like the major league fishing?
I understand there would have to be an offical in every boat and all that but with as much money as there is involved in these that really wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.
Catch, weigh, release and your done and the fish would have a far greater chance at surviving than if it in a live well for up to 8 hours then hauled around to and from the scale and then released.

Seems to me like if the ones involved wanted to protect the resource as much as they say they do (catch & release and heaven forbid you EAT a bass) seems like they would be all for it?

Or is it the simple fact that none of them believe enough fish are dying after a tournament to amount to enough to warrent such a drastic change? (Which may very well be the case)

I have nothing against tournaments & the guys out there making a living at it but I just don't see why they don't go to this kind of format?

I think the biggest issue would be finding a judge to ride along with each fisherman. I love the MLF format but they are doing with at most 10-12 people at a time when I've fished a couple of big tournaments on Kentucky lake with 250 boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they couldnt change the format for all tournaments, at least have some in place for when tournaments coincide with the spawns. removing fish and having some die is one thing but removing and releasing fish miles from their spawning beds is another.

It would help if they had two weigh ins a day ,

Where you had to come by the ramp/ dock between 11 am till 1 pm.

You could get an Official weight on the mornings fish ,then and release the fish on the way out to fish the afternoon session.

BASS doesn't need spectators or attendance other than for exposure to their sponsors products. The pool of money going to the top 50 winners comes from the Elite Pro's entry fees. They pay to play, and win their own money back.

Latest posts

Back