• Help Support TNDeer:

Trailer back up lights

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Been thinking on this for a bit.
My boat trailer lights do not have reverse lights in them.
I was wondering if a man could rig up like a 6" light bar to the center of his boat trailer and wire it up to come on when you go to reverse?
Do they make waterproof light bars?

What other options are there out there for this?

It's tough when you get old and it's dark and you can't see the boat ramp. :D

Hmm another thought, since my lights don't have back up lights in them, how would you wire it up to the truck??

they make submersible leds. youd have to splice into your brake light harness if you can find your reverse light lead from your truck tail lights. youd have to make up another quick connect or buy one that has another pin, if yours doesnt have a spare pin. should be fairly simple.

i use my cargo lights on dark ramps.

I would just Velcro some tap lights to the back before I backed up. I always have trouble with trailer lights malfunctioning.

Let me warn you that you won't be the most popular guy at the ramp if you aren't real careful. An LED light bar would be pretty rough on the guys at the bottom of the ramp getting ready to pull up while you are getting ready to back down.

Sidebar, I despise the guys that leave their headlights on, sometimes even their brights, while unloading their boat. It's tough to back down beside them with those lights blinding you.

Spurhunter":2xhbk1lh said:
Let me warn you that you won't be the most popular guy at the ramp if you aren't real careful. An LED light bar would be pretty rough on the guys at the bottom of the ramp getting ready to pull up while you are getting ready to back down.

Sidebar, I despise the guys that leave their headlights on, sometimes even their brights, while unloading their boat. It's tough to back down beside them with those lights blinding you.

No doubt!
I feel the same way about the lights being left on.

Where I fish it isn't a problem, where I struggle is duck hunting where there are no lights anywhere around the ramp.
All my spots that I hunt are single width ramps.

Part of this depends on your truck and what wires are ran to your wiring harness. If it's the small, rectangular 4-pin harness, it won't have reverse lights already ran. If it's the big round 7-pin connector, it'll have reverse lights there - I think it's the center wire. Just run that to whatever lights you rig up. My boat has one small submersible LED light (2 inches?) mounted on the driver side of the back of the trailer. It's good enough. Provides enough light where I can see how to back in the trailer without blinding anyone.

Mount a couple cube led on the back of the boat not the trailer. Then you have back up trailer lights and decoy deployment lights!

Do they make a trailer connector with reverse lights? I've only used the 4 flat connectors since that's what my trailer uses but you would need an extra wire in there for the reverse lights. Wouldn't be hard to splice a wire, but the connector would need to have the prong for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I always just have someone walk down the ramp with a spotlight in their hand. I'm not handy enough to go through custom wiring for a back-up light.

This seems like another example of how duck hunting gets expensive and complicated :D

I have bought all the materials to put reverse lights on my boat trailer (LEDS, 5 plug connector for truck and trailer, and switch). My plan is to wire them off the reverse lights on the truck, but install a switch somewhere on front of the trailer so I can disable them if need be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back