• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling for Crappie

Dbllunger

Hit Percy Priest today to troll for crappie with my new planer boards I picked up from one of our members here Tndeerhunter. We were trolling crankbaits which is a deepwater sport and most of the fish are still shallow so I really didn't expect much. Water was still 66 degrees and it usually isn't very good trolling crankbaits 13-15 foot deep till the water hits at least 75.

Anyway, we caught probably 12-15 crappie with only 6 being keepers plus a slew of white bass and one small hybrid. We ran two rods on the planer boards and two straight out the back of the boat and they all seemed to catch fish equally well. Definitely a learning curve on getting the setup right without tangling lines but it was fairly easy when you got things going.

We were trolling 1.7-2.2 mph pulling bandit 300 series lures and the boards did well. All in all, I like the boards and look forward to when the water warms up more and the trolling bite really turns on.

Here are the 6 keepers with a free plug for TNdeerhunter.

Thanks Dblunger glad you liked the boards and thanks for the report and your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobbyW":2q7f20az said:
Do you have to use a long rod to run planners?

No, I don't think it is needed. The boards do the work for you and keep the line way out away from the boat depending on how much line you have between the boat and the board.

If your going to pull crank baits the Magnum board is what you want. This board can be used for small bait fish as well.

Latest posts

Back