• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling for walleye?

Was considering booking a trip, just don't know how much fun that is. Setting the hook and fighting a fish is the fun part.
I'm a guide and I book for Capt Scott Lillie who has gained a stellar reputation as a walleye guide in East Tennessee (including some TNDeer folks). I also have good friends who are walleye guides on Lake Erie, the best walleye fishery in the world! And I have fished with them.

But I am also honest to a fault. You are correct... trolling for walleye is not nearly as much fun as single-pole fishing for them (or any other species of fish). BUT, if you want to put meat in the box - and let's face it, that is definitely the best part of walleye - trolling for them is THE way to go, bar none!

Also, on Capt. Lillie's trips you routinely have LOTS of by-catch in addition to walleye - stripe, smallmouth, channel cats, drum, sauger and occasionally other species. His trips are fun! That's why his remaining Spring dates are booked solid. We're booking him now for walleye trips beginning in December. Five dates are already booked with only four dates remaining. But plenty of openings in winter 2024.

But I repeat, your assessment on the "sporting aspect" is somewhat correct.

Thank you for your response. I was looking at some Erie guides and may still give it a try sometime. Their limits are pretty low for the expense tho. I will have to check out your website also.

We fish Lake Erie every spring for walleye. If you get there before the first week of May most guides insist on jigs. Jig fishing is fun, and action is pretty good.
After the first week it is trolling with side boards. In reality it simply isn't any fun. But we always meet up with a large group of friends and have a blast so the trips are still worth it.

Thank you for your response. I was looking at some Erie guides and may still give it a try sometime. Their limits are pretty low for the expense tho. I will have to check out your website also.
I HIGHLY recommend these guys (on Lake Erie). They're actually best friends and frequently work together. They do single-pole jig fish for a month in the Spring. But otherwise it is all trolling, all the time. But they DEFINITELY put meat in the box!

https://www.22sportfishingcharters.com/

https://www.dmofishingcharters.com/

Me on the left... we did this three days straight, usually limiting in about three hours.
IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2519 copy.jpg

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

I've got one of the December dates booked with Capt. Scott. I've fished up north for Walleye in NY and Michigan. Catching them on jigs, rigs, and lures. Great fun. This will be my first trolling experience and I am so looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back