• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motor question

scn

I think I remember reading something on hear recently that using a non-saltwater series trolling motor in saltwater would likely kill it fairly quickly. I am also assuming that a saltwater series would work fine in freshwater as well as salt.

If that is the case, I think I need to be hunting a saltwater trolling motor. I think in some future trips to the coast that I would like to haul my jon boat down for some bay fishing, or perhaps even some close in ocean fishing if I got a very calm day. The tarpon bug has bit pretty good in me, and there are enough showing up in Orange Beach right now that it might be an interesting way to kill a day or two to try to catch one on my own down there.

I'd appreciate any advice on the one to buy (or not to buy) as they look fairly pricey at first glance.

MK Riptide, and/or invest in a good push pole...

I've just about convinced myself that I need a dedicated skiff. It's a really vicious bug! ;)

A salt water trolling motor will work fine in fresh water. I have had an older version of the motorguide great white edition. I think mine was 78lb thrust. A friend of mine has a 12v 55lb thrust model. Unfortunately, they don't make a 12 volt version anymore which would be perfect for a jon boat. MK still does. They are good trolling motors and are not really that much more expensive than the same thing in a non-salt water version. I think they just seal internal connections a little better in the saltwater models. I don't know that a fresh water model will die on you. I have used fresh water models in saltwater without issue. I don't think I would use a nice expensive one with all the bells and whistles like remote control in salt water just because you have more things to corrode. A basic hand control or cable foot control should have no issues. When running in salt water, I found that the connectors where the trolling motor plugged into the boat needed to be taken apart and cleaned up allot, like after every trip down to the beach. If you have the plug in type lights, you will probably find that you have to clean them up allot also. Pedestal seats where the pin at the bottom slipped into the bracket on the floor drive me nuts. That pin would rust and get stuck in the bracket. I would have to unscrew the bracket, flip it over, and beat the post out of it.

I've used my freshwater TM's in saltwater intermittently many times and never had a problem. I do know other folks who have also used freshwater models in saltwater without a problem as well. We do religiously rinse them down with freshwater after use, just like fishing reels need to be rinsed.

Minn Kota says their saltwater models have "saltwater-engineered enhancements" and using freshwater in salt "may reduce the life of the motor" AND voids the warranty: http://bit.ly/1H72heX But even they say you need to rinse the saltwater models down with freshwater.

But you mention you expect to be in mostly calm water (like me) where the motor really isn't going to take a lot of spray. I really think it comes down to how much you're going to be in salt, and if you've got the dollars for the initial outlay. If so, might as well go for it.

But IMHO it's really not necessary for occasional use.

i took my bass pro tiller handle prowler to savanah ga. used it for solid 3 days to catch blue crabs with no problem...but the thing was we were in vacation mode and forgot to wash the motor, a week later i went to use it here on the river, it was seized. i took the motor apart and salt water had made it into the motor...everything copper was tainted black and white barnacles on the aluminum frame, cleaned the brushes and armature and it was back in business.
but i would think a saltwater model used in freshwater would last longer.

catman529":3p8qqe72 said:
Have you considered a kayak?

Sent from the talk of tap

Briefly considered and rejected. I have way too much trouble casting a 12 wt. standing on something semi-solid to have any hope of it working with me sitting down. And, while it seems the tarpon may have increased in that area, there is no doubt about the increase in large sharks.

I would like to have a kayak for the back bay, and to run some big baits out past the second bar, but doubt that I would be comfortable trying to fly fish on the ocean side out of one.

If you're solo, and can figure out the track that they're moving through on, you're better off anchoring up. Otherwise, the little extra investment in copilot or i-pilot is way worth it -- being able to quickly reposition the boat without putting the rod down can give you a shot (or at least a couple extra seconds to get your act together) when otherwise you'd just watch them cruise by out of casting range.

Latest posts

Back