• Help Support TNDeer:

Trout fishing/fishing in general

northman

Hey folks!

I'm new here, and new to TN, just moved down here from Michigan. I am looking forward to getting to know everybody. I'm wondering about tips for trout fishing. I have never done it before, and have never fly fished, so I was looking for other ways. Everything I found says a spinning rod and reel, light to ultralight, 6 foot rod, 4 lb test. Right now however, I do not want to buy a pole strictly for trout. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good all around pole, trout and other fish, lakes and rivers. Rod length? Reel size and type? Etc. I would appreciate it. I would really like something that could possibly even be backpacked in. I really enjoy hiking and backpacking so something I could take along would be great, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

Welcome! What part of TN are you planning to fish? Basically I prefer an UL rod that is not "whippy". A good entry level rod would be the Shakespeare Micro Series at +/-$20. I prefer a 6'6" to 7'. Unless you are planning on fishing for the big boys, I recommend 2-4 lb test line. I really like Trout Magnet's S.O.S. Line. In the case of backpacking, you probably need to find a multi piece rod, which is going to limit your choices. I sometimes carry a telescoping rod/reel combo, but the quality is lacking, and is only used when fishing is incidental to the hike!

I like to throw trout magnets with 2 pound test. But since the trout in middle TN are stocked during the winter, I also like to use Power Eggs or canned corn, the hatchery fish love that. You can throw a trout magnet with a split shot on 4 or 6 lb line and you can also use a float. There's a bunch of small jigs and lures that work but I like the trout magnets best.

Now when I go to a river such as the Caney Fork that has trout year round, and some big ones, I like a suspending jerkbait from early evening till well after dark.

Other than that, I don't know much about trout fishing, I'm far from an expert. I just like to catch em every now and again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RUGER":1bc77uth said:
Flurocarbon line.

Any advice on the type or size of rod and reel? I have read quite a few of your posts about fishing and catching bream and trout. I also saw you got a custom rod, which I have been considering and talked to DroomVanger about one. Although I really want to catch trout, I also don't want to be stuck with a rod that can only be used for 1 type of fishing.

Thanks

northman":22whd95g said:
RUGER":22whd95g said:
Flurocarbon line.

Any advice on the type or size of rod and reel? I have read quite a few of your posts about fishing and catching bream and trout. I also saw you got a custom rod, which I have been considering and talked to DroomVanger about one. Although I really want to catch trout, I also don't want to be stuck with a rod that can only be used for 1 type of fishing.

Thanks

I got a 7 1/2 foot medium action with a fast tip.
So far I have caught bass and trout with it.
It seems like it is going to be perfect for bream yet versatile enough for any of them.
It has a little more backbone than my usual bream rods.
I use pflueger spinning reels exclusively.
Baitcasters I'm not near as much a reel snob lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northman don't think of a fly rod as just a trout rig. If you find yourself interested in learning to fish with one you will find you will have a blast catching bluegill, bass or just about anything with them. You just change the technique a bit and what you are putting on the end. If you buy a quality fly rod it can handle quite a varied load. Example I have a 5 weight Sage that I have pulled in 6 inch rainbows to 30 pd salmon up north, ideally that rod is a bit of overkill for small trout but still fun.

Pfleuger President with any medium light 6'6" is hard to beat, and they hold up great. Had 2 for over 8 years, still fish like new. Also a great rod for spring smallies if you like shiner fishing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back