• Help Support TNDeer:

Trout Fishing?

WG3

I'm be never been trout fishing before, but I have an oppurtunity to go to Arkansas to fish for a couple days and all it would cost me is my license. I know the trip is worth it, but how enjoyable is trout fishing? And what advice would you give to a someone who hasn't been before.

I enjoy it enough that I bought a river boat specifically for fishing over there. Just about quit fishing on KY lake for crappie and it is only about 40 minutes to be on the water from my house. White river is about 4 1/2 hours
Yep , I enjoy going after trout.

Where in Arkansas? Might have tips to follow.
Forgot to add, I am crazy , I work for USPS.

I love trout fishing. I've never fly fished, though I'd like to learn. I use salmon eggs, or night crawlers on a small hook with a slip sinker. And, cast - retrieve little cleo spoons, or rapalas with a spin reel. Trout are strong fish that really put up a fight. If your using worms, salmon eggs you need to jerk and try to set the hook on the first nibble you feel. They are masters at stealing your bait. The Clinch river below Norris is a great place to go.

Wading is about as fun as it gets, but high reservoir levels can mess up your whole trip. If water levels are up, need a boat so you can drift or fish eddies. Seeing kayak fishermen wear them out while at full generation is what drove me to get my first kayak. When the horn sounds and everybody is in full retreat, I head to the bank and paddle right back out.

I really do enjoy trout fishing and I've only fished for them in the Caney. One of these days I'd like to go with someone to catch truly native trout in the small mountain creeks. I know they're only 8 inch fish but it's more about the scenery around you than the size of the fish.

Definitely use flourocarbon as AllOutdoors said. Trout are in very clear water and are very line shy. You can definitely catch them on mono but I truly believe you'll get more attention with flouro. They're beautiful fish and every once in a while you'll hook one with the acrobatics of a Smallmouth Bass and be surprised.

Very tasty fish too, I might add. Simmer them in a pan with lemon juice, butter, capers, and parsley and you're in for a good meal.

Don't do it!!!! It will take over your life!
Money will flow from your pocket to travel to crazy places to fish and time will spent dreaming, tying flies, etc
What the heck, have a good time.

Few pics of just the dry flies I tied to take on a Idaho fishing trip one year.

What 7mm08 said. :P
I am now in Dalton GA planning out the strategy for hitting some of the trout streams in North Georgia for the next two days.
One thing about trout, they mostly live in what I consider neat places. Usually in somewhat mountainous and beautiful country.

woodyard":1ygp7udv said:
What 7mm08 said. :P
I am now in Dalton GA planning out the strategy for hitting some of the trout streams in North Georgia for the next two days.
One thing about trout, they mostly live in what I consider neat places. Usually in somewhat mountainous and beautiful country.

Are you with the MId Tenn Fly Fishers? If so, tell Tom K his fly is open.

I fished Watauga and doe river growing up. But nothing beats wading those freezing cold mountain streams and seeing the beautiful scenery. I love tiger Creek and Dennis cove both are in the Hampton, tn area.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I almost always use an ultra light rig which makes the fight that much more enjoyable. I think the bigger fish are caught when the water's up but I never could get the hang of drift fishing.

7mm08":3apsr578 said:
PS take along a pair of polarized sunglasses! Cheap is Ok but they have to be polarized.
The polarized glasses will add immensely to your enjoyment, as you will often see the fish before they hit, see them during the fight, as well as see lots of fish that refuse to bite. Without the polarized glasses, you will miss most of this visual enjoyment. :)

woodyard":11123vxy said:
I enjoy it enough that I bought a river boat specifically for fishing over there. Just about quit fishing on KY lake for crappie and it is only about 40 minutes to be on the water from my house. White river is about 4 1/2 hours
Yep , I enjoy going after trout.

Where in Arkansas? Might have tips to follow.
Forgot to add, I am crazy , I work for USPS.

It's in Norfolk Arkansas, and on July 21-24. I was told all the gear and a boat would be supplied, as well as a guide if you want. I figure a guide might be good, since I've never been.

Latest posts

Back