• Help Support TNDeer:

Trout in Cherokee national forest

Quick question. Florida boy here and will be driving through Cherokee national forest in April. The only trout I have ever fished for are saltwater Sea trout down here in Florida. I have never gone freshwater fishing for trout and I am going to bring my lightweight rod and reel while driving through Cherokee simply to check in off my list. Can you guys give me any tips or pointers? What type of bait is preferred? What pound monofilament should I use? Any general information about the rig, set up, bait would be greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to get fancy, just want to bend the rod a few times and put them back in the water. Thank you very much.

I'm no trout fisherman but I catch a few now and again. I use 2 or 4 lb test . Corn, power bait, salmon eggs, trout magnets, Mepps or panther Martin type spinners . Good luck

My channel on YouTube is "Tn Backroads". Most of my videos are trout videos from CNF. Hiwassee and Tellico rivers. You can see the type places I fish and I always go over my setup. I never use salmon eggs, corn, or the powerbait doughs. Use as light of line as you can. I don't recommend anything over 4 lb test. If you plan on fishing Tellico or Citico, be aware that you will need the additional Tellico/Citico permit during the time you will be there, in addition to the trout license. Avoid Saturday if you can. It will not be enjoyable at all. Mon-Wed is the best time to fish them. Fishing is closed in the stocking areas on Thursday and Friday too, on Tellico and Citico.

How far north? If you are going near the Great Smoky Mountains NP, I would recommend the Middle Prong of Little River. You only need a NC or TN license and trout stamp isn't required since it's federal land. Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN has info on fishing; www.littleriveroutfitters.com.

You'll need to be aware that all of the National Park and some of the CNF do not allow the use of bait. In those streams you'll be required to use single hook artificials only. If you can narrow it down to specific streams you'll be able to find out more.

There is one in the NF, Tumbling Creek. However, the road is rougher than a frozen corn cob and takes forever to get there due to twists and curves. Was told about it and took 2 hours to get there from my house. For the required time, I would go to the Smokies and fish.

Tumbling Creek is easy to get to and a smooth ride if you go in from the Hwy 68 side. That's the side most people use to put their boats and kayaks in to access Ocoee lake 3 because it's all paved except for maybe a mile. My hats off to ya if you came into it from the forest service's road lol that probably required a frontend alignment of your vehicle and jarred some teeth loose.

I live in Cleveland. Hwy 68 would be waaay out of the way. If I was going that far for the required time, I would drive north to the park. IF and IF I would go there this summer, it would be to scout for deer while up there.

I live in Cleveland. Hwy 68 would be waaay out of the way. If I was going that far for the required time, I would drive north to the park. IF and IF I would go there this summer, it would be to scout for deer while up there.
It's not far from Cleveland. Just go up 64 to Ducktown and turn right on 68 towards Copperhill. Turn right on Grassy creek and then it's just a couple miles from the blacktop. Easy peasy.

It's not far from Cleveland. Just go up 64 to Ducktown and turn right on 68 towards Copperhill. Turn right on Grassy creek and then it's just a couple miles from the blacktop. Easy peasy.
That's the way I go in too. It's roughly a little over an hour for me from Athens but there's not another place I know anywhere close where you can catch 100+ yellow perch, giant spotted bass, and trout in the same place. It's worth the drive to me. I can be on Chickamauga lake in a 30 minute drive from my house and would rather fish the Ocoee river system lakes 10 to 1.

That's the way I go in too. It's roughly a little over an hour for me from Athens but there's not another place I know anywhere close where you can catch 100+ yellow perch, giant spotted bass, and trout in the same place. It's worth the drive to me. I can be on Chickamauga lake in a 30 minute drive from my house and would rather fish the Ocoee river system lakes 10 to 1.
I go in that way, too. But, once off Hwy 68 it is a winding back road and easy to make a wrong turn if you are not familiar with the route.
Tumbling Creek runs into Ocoee Lake #3. I used to call that Ocoee Lake #3 "The Perch Hole" because of all the yellow perch in there. Many years ago that lake was very difficult to access. I usually had the place all to myself. Then, it was "discovered" I went in there one day last year and there were so many cars and trucks parked along that one-lane dirt road that there was nowhere for me to park. Two guys coming in off the lake yelled at me saying: "Hey we caught over 200 perch. Do you want some fish?"
Well, if you didn't want them why in the @##! didn't you throw some back? I was so pissed and disgusted that I haven't been back there since then.

Two years ago a man disappeared there. His kayak, life jacket, and fishing gear were found. The lake was dragged for his body. But no sign of him was ever found. A police officer told me that they think he may have gone down in some quicksand.
The search crews improved the one-lane road to get in there, although it is still just one-lane. Now the access is a little easier for all the yahoos.

Anyway, the Hiwassee River is probably the best trout stream in Tennessee south of the Great Smokey Mountains. From the railroad bridge at Reliance upstream to the powerhouse is probably the best area to fish for rainbows and some browns. The water level is controlled, however, by the powerhouse. I like to fish low water when the powerhouse is not generating electricity. Usually early morning or late in the evening. You can wade then and reach some pretty good holes. But, you have to be careful because when the powerhouse opens the gates the water rises very quickly.
A few years ago I was standing on a rock near mid-stream and having a good time catching rainbows, when I suddenly noticed I was ankle deep in fast moving water, and that water was rising fast. Always wear a lifejacket even while wading on that river. That time I had to swim out!
At high water the Hiwassee is a roaring white-water river. Fishermen in drift boats, and white-water canoes and kayaks do well there in the high water times. I have both a white-water canoe and a kayak, but I prefer the canoe because it is easier for my creaky old bones to get into and out of.

For smaller waters, Spring Creek comes into the Hiwassee from the north, not too far upstream from the Gee Creek Campground. Spring Creek is stocked with rainbows from time to time during the winter and early spring, but I don't know the schedule.

I actually knew the gentleman that disappeared up there. It happened when we had gotten several inches of rain over a short period and everything was flooded. REALLY flooded. He had just gotten a new kayak and couldn't wait to try it out. He was a lot like me...always out fishing or hunting by himself. The family knew where he had went but he never came home.

I have fished the Hiwassee for over 25 years. A friend did some running and driving to monitor the rising water level. I'll see if I can find it. One thing he told me is to listen...you can hear the change in sound of rising water.

I go in that way, too. But, once off Hwy 68 it is a winding back road and easy to make a wrong turn if you are not familiar with the route.
Tumbling Creek runs into Ocoee Lake #3. I used to call that Ocoee Lake #3 "The Perch Hole" because of all the yellow perch in there. Many years ago that lake was very difficult to access. I usually had the place all to myself. Then, it was "discovered" I went in there one day last year and there were so many cars and trucks parked along that one-lane dirt road that there was nowhere for me to park. Two guys coming in off the lake yelled at me saying: "Hey we caught over 200 perch. Do you want some fish?"
Well, if you didn't want them why in the @##! didn't you throw some back? I was so pissed and disgusted that I haven't been back there since then.

Two years ago a man disappeared there. His kayak, life jacket, and fishing gear were found. The lake was dragged for his body. But no sign of him was ever found. A police officer told me that they think he may have gone down in some quicksand.
The search crews improved the one-lane road to get in there, although it is still just one-lane. Now the access is a little easier for all the yahoos.

Anyway, the Hiwassee River is probably the best trout stream in Tennessee south of the Great Smokey Mountains. From the railroad bridge at Reliance upstream to the powerhouse is probably the best area to fish for rainbows and some browns. The water level is controlled, however, by the powerhouse. I like to fish low water when the powerhouse is not generating electricity. Usually early morning or late in the evening. You can wade then and reach some pretty good holes. But, you have to be careful because when the powerhouse opens the gates the water rises very quickly.
A few years ago I was standing on a rock near mid-stream and having a good time catching rainbows, when I suddenly noticed I was ankle deep in fast moving water, and that water was rising fast. Always wear a lifejacket even while wading on that river. That time I had to swim out!
At high water the Hiwassee is a roaring white-water river. Fishermen in drift boats, and white-water canoes and kayaks do well there in the high water times. I have both a white-water canoe and a kayak, but I prefer the canoe because it is easier for my creaky old bones to get into and out of.

For smaller waters, Spring Creek comes into the Hiwassee from the north, not too far upstream from the Gee Creek Campground. Spring Creek is stocked with rainbows from time to time during the winter and early spring, but I don't know the schedule.
You ain't joking about #3, twenty years ago it was like fishing a remote lake in Canada or somewhere. I still fish it some but usually only when I get a rare weekday off. And even then, there is normally other people on the water. The perch are also on average, half the size they used to be. And speaking of Spring Creek, it has a secret that not many have found out about "yet".

Latest posts

Back