• Help Support TNDeer:

turnips

make them gobble

so we are thinking about planting one of our plots in turnips this year in fayette county. anyone have any success or tried to plant turnips before. i know deer love them after the first freeze but do you think they will hit them after the season is about over if we have another warm year?

Yes, deer like tunrips. But don't be surprised if they don't touch them until the first hard freeze. The freezing temps cause the plant to put more sugars into their leaves, improving the taste to deer.

CAMARO12 said:
I've stopped planting them as well on my local farm. The deer just don't like them, even after a frost. Green Patch Plus, oats, wheat, chicory and clover are all I plant now for cool season plots.

You do realize that Green Patch Plus is primarily plants in the turnip family? At least it was when I was still involved with the company...

I've done purple top turnips for about four years and had really good success growing beautiful turnip patches, but I don't think a single one has been eaten by a deer. They just get big and the rabbits eat at the tops of them. I'm thinking about abandoning them.

I plant brassicas for a late winter food source for my deer herd. They absolutely hammer them in January and February.

I have heard that radishes are used earlier in the season by deer. I plan on trying them out this year.

Bayou Buck said:
I have heard that radishes are used earlier in the season by deer. I plan on trying them out this year.

If you try them, let us know the results. I haven't tried radishes, but heard good things about them.

One of the craziest things I've tried that deer went nuts over was sweet potatoes. Could hardly grow them the deer hit them so hard.

Latest posts

Back