• Help Support TNDeer:

Upgraded my calls middle season!

Big J

Cause I am crazy like that!!!!

Sold all my other calls to the secret squirrel and decided to upgrade.

Went to Bass Pro and picked up the Woodshaven Cherry Crystal and the Redhead rtx slate.

Guess I am headed to custom calls only now!

Already own a Woodshaven Real Hen Box!

I can tell you one thing! Custom Calls are expensive fo sho!!!!!

Those "Custom" calls you just bought are production calls just like the Primos and K&H calls you had, just more expensive. Custom calls really are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

YEKRUT said:
Those "Custom" calls you just bought are production calls just like the Primos and K&H calls you had, just more expensive. Custom calls really are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I beg to differ on the woodhaven. The bass pro is, but all the woodhaven calls are turned in a tiny little shop in AL. Sure they sell a bunch of them, but they are far from production calls.

Custom friction calls all cost about the same, custom boxes vary widely, but custom friction are all in the same general price. There are plenty of people who get raped by ridiculously expensive custom friction calls that look pretty. Those rarely sound good and are more for the country club type.

There is no comparison b/w that Woodhaven Crystal and a plastic pot Primos or K&H call. Not even close, pick the two up sometime and run them together, you will notice, or should notice, or maybe not depending on your awareness of tone and break.

I would love to hear you rattle off a list of your favorite custom calls. Bet I already know a few you will name, based off your reply above....

I know all about how woodhaven turns out their custom calls. It is very similar to how primos or k&h do it. ;)

You ever go to the NWTF show and run a hundred different calls from diff call makers in a day? You can tell the diff in a custom call and a call ran down an assembly line without any problem.

They are good calls, but a $10 mouth call that costs .55 cents to make, what a rip off. They are selling a name and that is it. Their pot calls are ok, but nothing special compared to someone who actually sits down and makes the calls from start to finish and puts their own "custom" touch on it. If you think that is a "custom" box call I have much to teach you here.

I have 2 box calls in my vest and I didn't pay over $30 for either one. One of them is a Camp Caller that is as old as dirt, the other was made by a friend and sounds just as good as the Camp call does. I carry all custom mouth calls that I or friends have made that cost about 50 cents each to make and have been on the same stage as the big name call makers.

Who cares who's name is on the call. I personally don't care what PEOPLE think a call sounds like, I am not hunting people. I care what the TURKEYS think the call sounds like.

YEKRUT said:
I know all about how woodhaven turns out their custom calls. It is very similar to how primos or k&h do it. ;)

You ever go to the NWTF show and run a hundred different calls from diff call makers in a day? You can tell the diff in a custom call and a call ran down an assembly line without any problem.

They are good calls, but a $10 mouth call that costs .55 cents to make, what a rip off. They are selling a name and that is it. Their pot calls are ok, but nothing special compared to someone who actually sits down and makes the calls from start to finish and puts their own "custom" touch on it. If you think that is a "custom" box call I have much to teach you here.

I have 2 box calls in my vest and I didn't pay over $30 for either one. One of them is a Camp Caller that is as old as dirt, the other was made by a friend and sounds just as good as the Camp call does. I carry all custom mouth calls that I or friends have made that cost about 50 cents each to make and have been on the same stage as the big name call makers.

I was buying Woodhaven mouth calls long before they were in many stores, they came in a plastic bag and cost $10 then, that was 15 years ago. I agree it is high, but the price did not go up along with their spread around the country. It was always high, is my point.

I don't use box calls, at all, don't know jack about them, and don't really care that they even exist. Not my idea of a turkey tool, far too loud and cumbersome. JMO

I don't need to go to the NWTF covention to tell the difference in calls. I know what good custom calls sound like, that is all I run. Sure I have some woodhavens, but I also carry some Darrin Dawkins etc etc which are equal in tone to the woodhavens I have carried.

Anything made by primos, MAD, HS Strut, Quaker Boy, K&H, etc etc, is not going in my vest, and IMO doesn't hold a candle to many other calls put there made on a smaller scale.

All I know is I have a woodhaven cherry crystal that I use with thier solid piece striker and it will makem come - a - runnin'

Also, the red wasp, the copperhead II and the copperhead are the best calls I've come across in my 12 years of chasing turkeys.

Well I can tell a ton of difference in a woodhaven box call and a quaker boy box call!!

I can also tell the difference between a hs strut black magic and a Woodhaven Cherry Crystal!

I am also looking at a couple calls over at old gobbler

Some awesome slate,glass and aluminums over there!! Period!

Looking for a good aluminum next!

Spending $10 on a mouth call is kinda like spending $40 for a box of barnes-X bullets when a $10 box of core-locks will do just as well. With a mouth call, it's all about the fellow blowing it, not the call itself.

Now with a slate, that's a totally different matter. IMO, it IS worth spending the extra bucks getting a nice Woodhaven or whatever over the run-of-the-mill friction calls at Wal-mart.

Oh, BTW, now's a great time to buy your mouth calls for next year at Wal-mart for less than $1 each :)

I tend to disagree on the deer bullets, Control expansion bullets are far superior to the old soft points. More accurate, better penetration, and exit wounds every time.

I agree that $10 for a little adhesive tape, aluminum, and latex is costly. But it isn't enough to break the bank for most folks.

Setterman said:
I tend to disagree on the deer bullets, Control expansion bullets are far superior to the old soft points. More accurate, better penetration, and exit wounds every time.

Do you ever agree with anyone on anything? :D :D Just messing with you, eveyone has their own opinion on everything.

Setterman, LOL, I agree with you on the soft point bullets :)

I actually use nosler factory 2nds ballistic tips- $7 for 50 bought 2nd hand on the net, even cheaper than soft points, and much more accurate than anything else out there. As long as you put them behind the shoulder (which isn't a problem considering their accuracy and precision) controlled expansion isn't a issue under 3000 fps impact velocity.

Geez, I wish I could still find the 3 pack of M.A.D. 'poison' mouth calls for $7/ 3 pack. They're the best calls made for the money. But they only last 3 or 4 hunts before the tape comes apart.

Latest posts

Back