• Help Support TNDeer:

Upper Caney

northeasthunter

I'm back in town from Maine for the week and I'm gonna do a weekend camping/canoe trip on the upper caney. I want to stay away from people as much as possible. I'm looking at putting in at Bee Creek and taking out at hwy 111 in Sparta. Is anyone familiar with this part of the river at all?

yeah. Not doable at current levels. The whole river sumps out a bit below Little Laurel Creek and you'd have about a 4 mile drag over big dry boulders to the next floatable water. Course, you might decide to abandon your canoe and hike out.

Ask me how I know... :(

Been there done that. We put in at Clifty with intentions of taking out in big bottom. The whole river sumped out maybe a mile below Clifty. We drug kayaks and a canoe from 9 am until dark. Once it got dark we abandoned the yaks and started walking. Made it to the fork hole where Scott's gulf road is at 11 am the next day. The rescue squads, Rangers, wardens, and families were waiting on us. Dumb kids thinking we could do that in a day when all we had to do was ask someone. Our efforts were awarded with hypothermia and a little news coverage lol. Big bottom would be your best bet as far as away from crowds and being able to have more water to yak.

Latest posts

Back