• Help Support TNDeer:

Video from Saturday's creek fishing

catman529

Tell me if y'all think the rod cam is too shaky...I did just get a head band mount, and will use that some on the next trip. I caught 20, one guy caught 10 and and another caught at least as many as I did. I would love to free line some big stonerollers soon.

http://youtu.be/eyPWplpW6a4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry ipock":1f31odtk said:
looked fine. Just curious, what was the water temp?
probably in the mid 50s if I had to guess, however good my foot thermometer works I don't know. I would say it was cold but very tolerable. My buddy went out waist deep so he could cast under the bridge, but with 4 pound magnathin I could cast that far without wading so far. Dang I wish there was a way to film after dark, the topwater bite was insane.

CATCHDAWG":bbwko6e2 said:
I see two different ways YouTube links are posted on here. The one like this one never works on my phone but the ones with the video image do, as in a YouTube picture?
the one I posted is a link that should take you to YouTube. On my phone, Tapatalk turns that link into an embedded video right here. You can also embed a YouTube video here on the forum, but it displays in 4:3 aspect where my videos are widescreen so it chops the ends off the video. So I don't embed them here.

That rod cam is making me motion sick haha. The head mount is good for POV footage and if you don't forget it's there, you'll try to keep still for better video. I use it often for yak fishing videos if I want the POV shots and if I don't care so much for that, I'll use a pole mount behind me. Cool stuff though and that sure is a pretty creek!

MidTennFisher":sjobmk7e said:
That rod cam is making me motion sick haha. The head mount is good for POV footage and if you don't forget it's there, you'll try to keep still for better video. I use it often for yak fishing videos if I want the POV shots and if I don't care so much for that, I'll use a pole mount behind me. Cool stuff though and that sure is a pretty creek!
my only concern with the head cam mount is starting and stopping the recording. The screen turns off after a little while and you have to push the button to turn it back on and then push it again to start or stop the video. Only way I think I can fix it is to turn the beeps back on, which I turn those off as soon as I buy a camera because I use them when hunting.

Are you using a GoPro? That's what I have and I turned off the beeps and the light for the same reason, don't want it scaring off animals when I hunt. The downfall is that I have often missed good fish highlights because I thought it was on and I wasn't actually recording. Also missed about a dozen awesome dove kill shots from that issue.

MidTennFisher":qzjxb91s said:
Are you using a GoPro? That's what I have and I turned off the beeps and the light for the same reason, don't want it scaring off animals when I hunt. The downfall is that I have often missed good fish highlights because I thought it was on and I wasn't actually recording. Also missed about a dozen awesome dove kill shots from that issue.
That is the issue I am worried about. I'm using an Ultra Pro X cam 8+ which is comparable to the GoPro. With the camera on the rod I can see when it's recording. With it on my head I may have to turn the beeps back on.

Yes, too shaky. Great content, but hard for me to watch the wiggling without some Dramamine.

And I can tell you from experience, even the head mount is too shaky for my tastes. You will be SHOCKED to see how much you're moving your head around, even while fighting a fish. I also find that the head-mounted GoPro's are top heavy. They have a tendency to move around on my head.... unless you're like the skydivers and can hardmount them to helmet that doesn't wiggle around.

Personally, the GoPro video's I've seen shot with the chest harness mounts are the best (or those shot by another person with a steady hand). Easy to search out some GoPro chest mount fishing videos on YouTube. And yea, you are totally correct about the problems turning a GoPro on & off when it's on your head. It is much easier with a chest mount, just because you can look down and see it. So, if you're buying another mount, I would suggest you try the chest mount.

Just remember there is a very good reason that EVERY professional video production outfit always shoots off GOOD tripods (or $100,000 Steadicams). Just sayin' ... :D

rsimms":3pn50wlj said:
Yes, too shaky. Great content, but hard for me to watch the wiggling without some Dramamine.

And I can tell you from experience, even the head mount is too shaky for my tastes. You will be SHOCKED to see how much you're moving your head around, even while fighting a fish. I also find that the head-mounted GoPro's are top heavy. They have a tendency to move around on my head.... unless you're like the skydivers and can hardmount them to helmet that doesn't wiggle around.

Personally, the GoPro video's I've seen shot with the chest harness mounts are the best (or those shot by another person with a steady hand). Easy to search out some GoPro chest mount fishing videos on YouTube. And yea, you are totally correct about the problems turning a GoPro on & off when it's on your head. It is much easier with a chest mount, just because you can look down and see it. So, if you're buying another mount, I would suggest you try the chest mount.

Just remember there is a very good reason that EVERY professional video production outfit always shoots off GOOD tripods (or $100,000 Steadicams). Just sayin' ... :D
thanks for the advice. This is my current hunting tripod setup, but it's not very practical for fishing, unless someone was filming.

43a3428c8c3441dbe28c857a551af699.jpg

I will use this for bank fishing like for carp and catfish, but for bass fishing I like to use the action cam for ease of use and wide angle view. I've considered getting the chest mount too.

I sold my GoPro because I couldn't hold it steady nor see what was in the frame. I got a RAM mount on my boat and use a waterproof Olympus Tough camera. When I need to move it the RAM disconnects easy enough. If you leave it slightly loose you can still give it some adjustment, but not as easy as with a tripod setup. My only issue (as you can see in the video below) is when I have a big fish on, I just ignore the camera and sometimes the fish isn't in frame. You can tell by the sound of the spalshing how big the fish is, though.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN6je75O_1M

For whatever reason the vid wouldn't work on my phone but loaded right up on my iPad. Wasn't crazy about the rod cam but the content was great! You've got me fired up to go catch some small stream smallies! :tu:

Back