• Help Support TNDeer:

Weatherproof/Stain for Shooting House?

Jarred525

What would be the best stain to put on this shooting house in full sun?
House.jpg

I would paint the OSB board I think. I built a little storage building and sheeted with OSB, painted it with decent exterior paint, still going strong after 10 years.

Tell the boss man to just put him some more of that Mossy Oak vinyl siding on there like the other one ... I bet that would be terrible siting in that thing on a day like today. Its definitely in the open soaking up the sun..

Nealmeally said:
Tell the boss man to just put him some more of that Mossy Oak vinyl siding on there like the other one ... I bet that would be terrible siting in that thing on a day like today. Its definitely in the open soaking up the sun..

You see how well the grandkids get treated :) They come along and all of a sudden these fancy shooting houses start popping up :) Not complaining, but it is spoiling me. Will give you a ring soon to catch up.

Thanks guys for the input.

a high grade latex exterior.....I'd go with as light of a color as I could ....latex paints tend to hold color in sun much longer than oil but darker colors seem to fade out (or you notice it more) sooner than lighter colors...lighter colors rebel sun while dark colors absorb it...

Maybe a gray/light blue with some limbs painted in to break it up....

enjoy the process..

Thanks, the lighter color should be cooler as well on hot days.

How much paint you think it will take? I was thinking 5 gallons as a starting point.

Might also look for a light brown, sand color.

Jarred525 said:

How much paint you think it will take? I was thinking 5 gallons as a starting point.

should be enough, maybe too much. You can always save the remainder for touch ups and if properly stored, the paint will last a long time....

the gray or blue suggestions are to blend in better with the sky...

Bottom Hunter said:
Jarred525 said:

should be enough, maybe too much. You can always save the remainder for touch ups and if properly stored, the paint will last a long time....

the gray or blue suggestions are to blend in better with the sky...

Good point, it is located on top of a ridge. I did not think about that.

if you want to get fancy...lol, then paint the box part the lighter color and the stairs and posts darker, but not too dark and draw limbs and leaves on it....make it blend in with the trees behind it...

next time I have the camera, I'll try to remember to take a picture of a blind that a friend of mine has....it's not very tall, maybe ten feet total to the floor, but he always plants corn around it and in the field. he is quite the artist and painted it to blend in with the corn.....looks great! it stands out early while the corn is still green but once it turns brown , the blind seems to disappear...lol.

have fun with this.....!! Another suggestion is clouds on the box and plant the posts and steps like trees....lol.

You could plant some fast growing trees around it and maybe they'll cover it in about five years...lol.

How about if you put plywood around the bottom and paint some deer on it, maybe a couple of does with their tails to the side?

I had always thought about building a wheeler shed under a stand so i could drive right up to it. Hey, maybe build a storage area and fill it with decoys. Once you drive to it, get the decoys out, set them up around the stand to look like a deer herd, then stash your wheeler in the shed.......lol.

the possibilities are endless......wow, I really need for the season to start...lol.

Back