• Help Support TNDeer:

Well scn / woodyard

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Apparently my cell phone hasn't been working.
I didn't get any pictures of trout the size of my cooler. :D

You can post them here. ;)

Sorry, we was so busy I didn't even think about pictures except when we saw that boat motor. :lol:

Almost wanted to send you one of it,but I didn't want to think about it too much. I was afraid I would be tempted to try and get that thing off the river bottom. Wisdom and age prevailed. It looked to be about three feet down and in pretty good condition, like it hadn't been there very long. But the water was a lot like that area at Steamboat Shoals where you caught that trout long as your cooler.

There weren't any cooler busters this trip. Water was not very good this time, it was dingy and trashy with the moss. We did fish new water to me on Monday and I had a real good day even with the water conditions. I did get scn to pick up a spinning rod. Those Little Cleos are still working. ;)

It was pretty tough fishing except for one stretch, but it was a GREAT trip. It was the first time I have had a rod in my hands (fishing) since early November. I missed some fish I should have caught, but still got a few. It was just nice to finally get out and spend some fun hours with a true gentleman. It was a fun trip, and I'm sure I gained some weight from the eating part. Terry is a great cook!

scn":3up4rxkm said:
TNRifleman":3up4rxkm said:
Were you guys at the White River? I was there this past weekend and the fishing was rough for sure.

Yes, we were on the White. The water was pretty nasty compared to my last trip over there.

Bad fishing for us all weekend. We were are the White Hole Resort, a few miles below the dam at Bull Shoals. We also fished at Rim Shoals and had a little luck there. Every fish I caught was on a solid gold or gold and red little cleo.

Lots of moss and almost no generation. Couple of people I talked to said the fishing turned off about 3 weeks ago.

We fished from Calico Rock to a few miles above Norfork and also went up the Norfork River since they were on constant generation.I had never been up the Norfork since it was never constant generating when I was there before in all these yeas. Without generation it is mainly wading.

We were considering going to the White Hole Wednesday morn ,but the storms and rain were hangin there. It was muddy at Calico Rock from the late Tuesday rains. Just called it a trip and headed home.

Nearly always have a good trip even if the fishing isn't at its best. You just have to deal with the water and the weather and sometimes mechanical and other troubles.

Interesting. We were at Gastons last weekend on the White. I guess I had too high of expectations. Our guide never left the sight of the dock. We brought home our limit but I would say we caught maybe 40 -50 fish total. (3 people). I was expecting a fish every cast. I did lose a nice brown wading at sunrise on a Yozuri 3D minnow. He buried himself in the moss.

Our guide checked out on us after lunch. Had us throw out nightcrawlers in one hole and sit with no water moving. After reeling in 10 lbs of moss his comment was " Just leave it out there". I had enough so started throwing a little silver spoon I had in my tacklebox, a Rebel arrowhead and started catching fish.

The other boats in our group were all moving around throwing lures and catching a few. There was a small pulse of water each day and like ya'll said a ton of moss. Beautiful country.

go_okfishin":3mvm5mua said:
Interesting. We were at Gastons last weekend on the White. I guess I had too high of expectations. Our guide never left the sight of the dock. We brought home our limit but I would say we caught maybe 40 -50 fish total. (3 people). I was expecting a fish every cast. I did lose a nice brown wading at sunrise on a Yozuri 3D minnow. He buried himself in the moss.

Our guide checked out on us after lunch. Had us throw out nightcrawlers in one hole and sit with no water moving. After reeling in 10 lbs of moss his comment was " Just leave it out there". I had enough so started throwing a little silver spoon I had in my tacklebox, a Rebel arrowhead and started catching fish.

The other boats in our group were all moving around throwing lures and catching a few. There was a small pulse of water each day and like ya'll said a ton of moss. Beautiful country.

That stinks with the guide but he probably assumed you just wanted to catch some fish and nightcrawlers or powerbait left sitting is the surest way they know to get people to catch fish. Unfortunately, a bunch are killed by powerbait because the fish swallows the hook a lot of times before you can feel you have one. Overall the fishing was slow as we were only a mile or so down river from you. My uncle is a serious (and very skilled) fly fisherman and even he had trouble catching many on his own. The only time he was really catching them was when he fished with Davy Wotton. Davy knows every nook and cranny of that river and they my uncle caught about 40 fish per day both days he fished with him.

I have been there before where I literally got bored from catching them but the past couple of times it has been much more difficult. I think for me it is finding the fish as the river has changed a lot in the last few years with the floods. Some great areas were literally washed out with the flood of 2011 and I really believe that this minimum flow thing they instituted has changed the fishing as well.

go_okfishin said:

The other boats in our group were all moving around throwing lures and catching a few. There was a small pulse of water each day and like ya'll said a ton of moss. Beautiful country.[/quote

There are days that it can be every two to three casts with a hook up. The moss is usually a problem in late spring to June or so. Go back in the late summer through early spring when they a generating regularly and you should have a great trip. Most of the guides use corn, shrimp, or worms every trip. Find one that fits your fishing or rent a boat and do it yourself. I have never had a guide over there in 20 plus years.

We did watch a guy with a fly rod catch about 10 when one of the small releases got to us. He was using a green zebra midge. We went back that evening to his spot with fly rods and midges and didn't catch any. He caught it at the right time. The pulse was just enough where you didn't have to get out although I got nervous not knowing that water and got out. I would not use a guide next time but it was free.

I usually fish the Calico rock area 15-20 miles in either direction. There is a tremendous amount of pressure up closer to the dam. There is enough pressure during good weather around Calico , but nothing compared to Cotter to
thevdam. We only go up there when the water is too dirty at Calico.

woodyard":3kjc5f86 said:
I usually fish the Calico rock area 15-20 miles in either direction. There is a tremendous amount of pressure up closer to the dam. There is enough pressure during good weather around Calico , but nothing compared to Cotter to
thevdam. We only go up there when the water is too dirty at Calico.

A buddy of mine fishes Calico Rock area when he goes over there. Slays them on a Rootbeer colored bandit 200. Never worked for me closer to the dam but he swears by it.

Latest posts

Back