• Help Support TNDeer:

What’s in a name…..

I think the name "mahi mahi" for dolphin became popular so folks wouldn't confuse the fish on the menu with Flipper.

My grandmother who was born and raised in Florida never tasted shark until we had it at my folk's house. I had caught a little hammerhead (about 11 lbs and before the size limits) while surf fishing. We had pompano and ling (cobia) along with several other fish and the shark was my grandmother's favorite.

kind of ironic that common carp was brought here because the settlers seined the rivers dry along with pollution from logging.

people are spoiled nowadays. too bad one mans trash fish is another mans substitute walleye.
Redfish were used as food for pigs before a chef in New Orleans blackened one! The rest is history as they say

I think the name "mahi mahi" for dolphin became popular so folks wouldn't confuse the fish on the menu with Flipper.

My grandmother who was born and raised in Florida never tasted shark until we had it at my folk's house. I had caught a little hammerhead (about 11 lbs and before the size limits) while surf fishing. We had pompano and ling (cobia) along with several other fish and the shark was my grandmother's favorite.
Calling them mahi is for youtube commanders and people who are not from Florida. They are Dolphin, period. Blacktip shark is a fine meal. Although some are definitely more tasty than others, any fish is edible if you are hungry enough. ;)

Latest posts

Back