• Help Support TNDeer:

What’s that part?

scubacamper

I've been looking for probably 2 years for this part I broke when cleaning & greasing my spinner.
It's a small v-shaped plastic "spring" within the bail trip mechanism.
Ever since I broke it, the bail wire no longer flips back over, and worse, won't stay flipped over.
I don't have a picture handy but if anyone knows what this part is, it'd be very helpful in searching for this replacement part.
It's an older (circa 1999-2001) Johnny Morris signature tournament spinner reel.
It's not an expensive reel but it's sufficient for me....or at least it WAS! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the part is. If the reel has a lot of sentimental value I can understand trying to fix it, but otherwise if it's just a cheap reel, I'd get a new one. Quantum Optix are some of my favorite cheap reels. Great for the money. Mitchell 300, 308 etc. are great midrange reels... I don't own any real high dollar ones myself.

J - thanks for those suggestions - if this repair doesn't return it to its former "glory", I'll be sure to look up those reel models.

Update:
Yesterday, I called the Bass Pro Shops outdoor world rod & reel repair and spoke with "Kelli". She suggested I send pictures to help identify the reel model & part in question.
I emailed her this morning and not 2 minutes later, she called to tell me she found the parts(!).
The black plastic piece is called the "Bail Spring Holder" and it cradles the bail spring to keep it straight.
She also told me that reel was the Bass Pro Mega Tournament model MGT40FA and was sold around 2001 (haha!)...
She was very helpful and patient with me (didn't try to rush me off the phone or try to sell me crap I didn't want).
I asked her what those parts might cost and she said the bail spring was $1.05 but she pulled the spring holder off an old used reel.
Thinking they'd gouge me on the price since it'd taken me so long to find this part, i "offered" a price, asking if $10 would cover it.
She replied stating "well, I was only going to charge you for shipping, and that's about $5."
Awesome!
So here's to bass pro's outdoor world rod & reel repair center - awesome experience and I recommend them if you have issues with your reels (she also said they're the authorized service center for other brands too such as Garcia, Zebco, Shimano, Penn, and others).
They can be reached at 417-873-5274

At long last, I've found the parts I've been hunting, and am hopeful to get it back on the water!

Some pictures...
0823f296b2a9377f49090019606afe73.jpg
802f1fa4cfd18b17b285c1e384476400.jpg
01caa78e4666143f2120a8c03bd3e61c.jpg
a0cf8da2e49bd2e2eb1a64a62d7c99e0.jpg
700ecb96d3e457349f3601711f593029.jpg
2e8342b03998729633f58ccb7e8bf876.jpg

I had a similar experience with a reel I had purchased from them that was a few months (maybe a year??) out of warranty, that had some sort of internal part broken that I couldn't identify.

They shipped it from the store, had it fixed, and shipped it back to Memphis. I went to the store to pick it up, and they didn't even charge me!

Latest posts

Back