• Help Support TNDeer:

What are we up against.....in reality?

Bottom Hunter

Last year I hunted in view of a 50 acre field. I had no choice but to enter my setup through this field. Instead of walking along the edge, i chose to walk down the middle of the field for one reason. I was trying to let the deer get at least halfway out in the field before crossing my trail in....I didn't want them to scent me along the edge and possibly not even get them in the field in view before they suspected something was up.

Even hours after crossing the field to my stand, every deer that crossed my trail seemed to get nervous and some even turned and went back instead of crossing it.

I did all that i could to be as scent free as possible including spraying my rubber boots with scent killer before walking in. Even stopping about halfway to respray my boots. the field was bare so nothing but the boot soles were actually leaving scent behind.

The only other thing I was leaving behind were skin cells, maybe some dander or lint from my clothes, all of which are always freshly washed , at least every few days....so, basically, there was nothing else that I could do to prevent being detected, so what's next?

I have no idea.....

So, the next time you sit there in your stand and can not understand why you are not seeing deer, analyze every aspect of your hunt and see where you dropped the ball. Not every hunter can boast a stand location where they can enter and leave without crossing trails or being detected in some manner...

Many times, hunters don't really understand what they are up against...

enjoy the process

I really think there is no way that the "scent free" sprays are actually that, scent free. If you spray it on your boots, surely it leaves an unnatural scent trail. I've had deer scent my trail in before wearing my regular rubber boots, and I've had them walk across it and never miss stride. I just try to keep my boots clean of contaminants, walk only in the grass and dirt, and only wear them when I'm about to hit the woods to hunt. ;)

I've done the same thing, walking through the middle of the field hoping to at least not get detected until they have moved off the field edges. I'm not a huge believer in the scent free sprays, they got to leave something behind, but maybe I'm crazy.

I actually like having a wide open field for entry/exit from stands, which is very rare as Im in now way a field hunter. I do use them when I can to atleast cut some of my noise entry down while enroute to a stand farther in the woods.
As for the scent, I do most everything I can to keep it to a minimum, which consists of clean inner clothes for every hunt, and outer layers that have not been worn anywhere except while sitting on stand, and never more than a day or two at that!
You definitely wont and cant completely fool the deers nose, but keeping scent to a minimum will definitely help in some situations.

This may sound crazy and Ive never tried it but what about a natural boot cover like a snow shoe? Make it out of branches and whatever natural findings you can use and leave it in the woods when your done. Would work on crossing a field at least and the scent of the branches and whatever you use is always there?

The only thing I've found that consistently, effectively covers sole-of-the-boot scent is a cowpie (if you have cattle on/near your hunting grounds).

Boll Weevil said:
The only thing I've found that consistently, effectively covers sole-of-the-boot scent is a cowpie (if you have cattle on/near your hunting grounds).

I do this whenever possible as well.

ruger7mag said:
Boll Weevil said:

I do this whenever possible as well.
Absolutely, have actually walked out of my way a lil on many occasions, to stomp in some Cow Shat on the trip in, where cattle are present!

lung-buster said:
Ive had some deer be curious and follow my tracks in the dew right to me. I have a couple of fields i hunt and i walk through the middle and make a 90 about 50yds out right to my stand.

Yep. My best deer, a 115" mountain buck, followed my tracks to the base of my tree, looked up, and spotted me just before I dropped him.

I used to use the cow pie trick... If there's a running creek or mud puddle I make a point to step in them. My scent control regimen goes like this: wash inner clothes every hunt. Outer layers are washin and worn only during the hunt, the rest of the time they are hanging on the porch of camper at huntin camp. Boots sit on porch as well.. I never where any clothes in a vehicle four wheeler only. Spray down once I get off 4 wheeler. Where scent controls deo and wash w scent control wash products... Also I transport my under garments to and from camp in a Tupperware box in the bed of truck, I'll wash outer garments every 2 or 3 hunts... I break pine needles and branches to put in bottom Tupperware box to give clothes pine scent. Then just play the wind and hope for the best...

More than once I've wondered why some of these innovative, genius cover scent companies haven't started marketing some MooPoo Spray. If they can sell Dog Whistles that supposedly make turkeys gobble and some crazy Acorn Crunchers, there's no doubt they could sell the heck out of MooPoo Spray...and it'd actually WORK!

Latest posts

Back