• Help Support TNDeer:

What line do you use on your baitcasters?

TNReb

I don't fish a ton, but I typically keep two baitcasters - one for plastics & jigs, and another for crankbaits.

I've been running fluorocarbon on them, and like it for the most part. However, I use fluorocarbon on the entire reel. The line has such bad memory that at least half of the line winds up being wasted.

Anyone use a braid like PowerPro with a fluoro leader? If so, how long of a leader do you use? I don't really like the idea of having a knot in the middle of my line - I've always tried to avoid leaders when bass fishing. It's probably a mental thing, but it seems like it's a potential weak point in the line.

How is the sensitivity of PowerPro (or other braids)? I haven't used braids in the last 15+ years.

I use 20lb powerpro on mine. Does just fine for everything I use it for. I don't throw a lot of soft plastics with it though, usually spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, frogs and cranks. I have used jigs and soft plastics before, the sensitivity seems ok, I just miss too many hooksets which I feel is due to the no stretch in the line. Still have a spinning set up with 10lb Stren for my worms and other plastics.

lung-buster":351uczer said:
I used power pro on all my reels from creek stuff and lake reels and use a fluro leader. I haven't had a knot come loose yet but I'll add a tiny bit of superglue to my fluro/powerpro knot.

Green or the high-vis yellow? If you're using a fluoro leader, I wouldn't think it'd really matter. Some people seem to be pretty set against the high-vis yellow.

I don't know how many 30-40 pound rockfish I have hauled in over the years on 17 pound Stren Mono. I can tell you how many have broken off that weren't wrapped around a log. Zero.

12 lb. mono should be good for any green fish on the planet. Can it break? Yes but rarely if you have fresh line and a good knot. Always wet your line when tightening a knot.

Mono does have some stretch but at the distances most people are fishing it shouldn't affect hook set too much.

I think people generally spend way too much money on expensive lines that aren't really necessary for the most part.

About my only exception is when fishing crystal clear water I will sometimes use fluorocarbon leader on my mono or wire leader in certain salt water situations.

I back all my reels with cheap mono then add fluorocarbon or braid. I keep a couple with braid and the rest with fluorocarbon Seagaur red label or Sunline. Backing your reels helps to save line.

TNReb":2ky15ubb said:
lung-buster":2ky15ubb said:
I used power pro on all my reels from creek stuff and lake reels and use a fluro leader. I haven't had a knot come loose yet but I'll add a tiny bit of superglue to my fluro/powerpro knot.

Green or the high-vis yellow? If you're using a fluoro leader, I wouldn't think it'd really matter. Some people seem to be pretty set against the high-vis yellow.

I've been using the green but will be switching to the yellow or white if I can find it. I use a jig or worm Texas rigged 99% of the time.
The power pro is easier to pick a backlash out for me. Seems like it buries in itself instead of bird nesting.

Used to turn my nose up at anything than just plain Jane stren mono. Then I discovered braid, more specifically power pro. First started using it on spinning gear for inshore saltwater. As someone mentioned I like a double uni to attach leader. Never had a knot fail and it goes through the guides with ease. Cast a heck of a lot farther and bucks the wind. Smaller diameter helps. I then started using it for my baitcasters especially with Texas rigged bait. It's a lot more sensitive and doesn't stretch. I usually just use a bout a 3-4ft mono leader unless the water is very clear. Crankbaits and spinnerbaits I usually use 12 lb mono. We also started to use 80lb braid on our bigger saltwater bottom fishing rigs. Less stretch when fishing 80ft plus, more sensitive, cuts the current, tough as heck, and can fit a lot of line on a spool. I find that it takes several years to wear braid out as well. I just reverse it on the spool when I feel it's time. I vote for braid with leader on your worm rod and mono on your cranking rod.

Braid for topwater frogs, P line mono for topwater spooks, pop R's and buzz baits. Seagar flourocarbon for the rest, jigs, Texas Rigs, crankbaits, etc.. Stren is absolute junk in my imo, it will never be on another one of my rides.

I fish roughly 200 days a year. I live about a mile from the French Broad and 10 -15 minutes from Douglas. A lot of time I run the bank if I don't have time to get my boat out. I got on the fluorocarbon kick a couple years ago but went back to mostly mono. I use Bass Pro red box and it's pretty amazing line for the money. A big spool is around $10 and often on sale where you buy 2 and get 1 free. I do use some green mono but mostly clear. If I was fishing for $100,000 and had a line sponsor I'd probably use fluoro... but I don't so I use what works. I honestly believe that line doesn't make that big of difference as long as it's good line. I've used fluoro in dirty stained water and had the fluoro get stained color and not noticed a difference when I fished it in clear water a few minutes later. I know it transmits vibration better... I get that but mono on a good rod isn't bad either.

If I was going to go straight fluoro it would have to be a leader on braided line. It's just cost too much for me as much as I fish and respool my reels. The BPS line is limp and doesn't hold much memory unless it's been tight for months. I currently only use fluoro on a leader on a drop shot. When I run out of fluoro I doubt I will buy any unless I change to braid. I only use braid on a frog rod or if I'm punching log jams with a texas rig.

Latest posts

Back