• Help Support TNDeer:

What's the best trolling motor battery

Yotekiller011

Went out yesterday and did not troll but about an hour and my battery was just about dead. Just bought the thing at the beginning of last season at Advance Auto and it's a trolling battery. I think I paid about $120.00 for it. I'm tired of fooling around trying to save a little money, rather buy the best to start with instead of wasting money. What's the best for the money in your opinion?

A reasonable choice for the price is the Duracell AGM Battery that Sams Club sells. The battery is a series 31 and costs about $180. You could easily spend double that on another brand but doubt you would get double the performance.
I have learned a lot about batteries in the last couple of months as I need 3 for my Ulterra trolling motor. The general opinion is to buy more "power" than what you need because the less you discharge a battery the longer it will last. It is also very important to make sure you charge it as soon as possible after using it.

Thanks, I'll check into one. My boat has a three bank onboard charger and my understanding is that it charges all batteries to full charge then turns off then tends them keeping them fully charged. Does this harm batteries?

I have tried different batteries throughout the years of fishing. Just from my experience, I buy the heaviest marine battery NAPA offers. They have lasted just as long as the high $$ Gel batteries I have tried. The abuse they take in a bass boat has an effect on their longevity too.

I have had the best luck with deka and interstate batteries. A good digital charger is worth its weight in gold. I have used lots of chargers over the years but feel like I get the best life out of my batteries with the minn Kota charger. I plug it in and forget about it.

When I was researching batteries and chargers found out the charger is just as important as the batteries. I was talked into a Minnkota 440 4 bank charger. Time will tell if it was an intelligent choice.
The 4 bank charger will charge and maintain all 3 trolling batteries as well as the starting motor.

I purchased marine batteries from dualpro years ago and they where really durable. I guess they discontinued that part of their business.

Back