• Help Support TNDeer:

When to get out of your Stand?

flyinpro

On another post below, I got to thinking about reasons to get out of the stand. I like to sit most of the day but normally get down if the wind shifts, I get busted or need to use the can. What other reasons why you might decide to climb down?

The places I bow hunt early season the deer are headed to daytime bedding areas, so I usually hunt dawn till about 9:30 am. Afternoon is from when I get there until shooting light is over.

In rut I try to stay all day or until an hour after I shoot one.

Sometimes when I get down by 1000 or so early season is because I'm thinking the deer have slipped into bed and are done moving until it's time to get a drink or it's time to move to a stagging areas for evening chow. Most of the time I stay in the woods some place else. Thanks and good hunting.

flyinpro said:
On another post below, I got to thinking about reasons to get out of the stand. I like to sit most of the day but normally get down if the wind shifts, I get busted or need to use the can. What other reasons why you might decide to climb down?

Where I hunt, if I got out of my stand every time the wind shifted direction, I wouldn't be in my stand more than 5 minutes.

I get down once I get bored. If I'm bored, I won't be paying attention, and deer will easily slip past.

BSK said:
flyinpro said:

Where I hunt, if I got out of my stand every time the wind shifted direction, I wouldn't be in my stand more than 5 minutes.

I get down once I get bored. If I'm bored, I won't be paying attention, and deer will easily slip past.

Exactly my thoughts, sometimes it's 9 sometimes it's lunch. I'm not very big on evening hunting

I usually Stay untill 11-12 because most of the people on our lease usually leave around 9-10 thus pushing any deer towards my area (pending that there are any deer nearby) then come back around 3-4 and hunt till dark.

I dont hunt the wind because If I got down everytime it changed, id spend more time walking to the next stand or halfway up a tree.

I get down when I get bored, or when I must do my "honey do" list.

If I got down when the wind changed, or when I spooked a deer, I wouldn't hunt very much.

I normally have 40-11 things to do.. I sit until my mind tells me to quit wasting time up in the shooting house and get down and get to work.. sometimes it has been 10 minutes,, sometimes 4 hours..

Usually where I hunt on public land people are coming and going so I tend to spend the day in the stand. Thats not to say that I dont stand up and stretch my legs, have a smoke, pee, whatever.

I sit until anywhere between 8:30 & 10:00 depending on whether I'm seeing deer, the weather is at least favorable to see deer or I start getting stiff and can't stand being still anymore.

Afternoons, I don't get to my stand until 3:00 or later and hunt to total darkness. Practically every deer I've seen/shot in the evening has been well after sunset and within the last 10 minutes of legal light.

I will wait to 10:00 or an hour after I've seen the last deer. That way, if the movement is later in the morning I hopefully won't miss it. If I haven't seen anything and I believe in my spot, I will stay a little later just to catch the late movement. Your anticipation builds toward dark on the evening hunt and the opposite on the morning hunts so I like both for those reasons. I find my patience on the stand moves along with the rut. Its really tough in the early season to sit more than 3 hours unless there is good movement.

Latest posts

Back