• Help Support TNDeer:

White River report

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have had good trips to the White and I have had great trips to the White.
I have never had a trip as awesome as this one.
Weather was perfect, water was perfect, food was awesome and we caught a BUNCH of trout.

Woodyard is THE MAN !!!!

I haven't traveled that much in my life but I can honestly say this is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I absolutely love it there.

In this picture, if you can zoom in on it, there is a mature bald eagle in the big tree. Right hand side about 3/4 of the way up.
Saw this one a few times and another immature one, very awesome sight.

Shore lunch still has to be my favorite part.
They don't get much fresher than these. From river to livewell to grill in about 30 minutes.

Cooked to absolute perfection also.

This was supper the second night. Didn't get many pics of supper either night. By the time the eating rolled around we were both pretty wore out.

Day one we fished from about 9:30 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. with about an hour and a half break in there for lunch.
I kept up with mine and I caught 33. I am sure Woodyard caught just as many as I did.
The picture doesn't do this fish justice. One of, if not the most beautiful ones I have ever seen.

Day two we fished from daylight till 2:00 p.m. and combined we caught 85 trout. Well 82 trout, two smallmouth and this thing. I first thought it was a sculpin but after further review I don't really don't think that's what it is. It had more of a sucker type mouth. Reminds me alot of a horsehead but I really don't know.

Had my very first 50 trout day also.
Meet #50 LOL

The last morning the water had come up, got dingy and had lots of trash in it.
Catching was way different than the first two days that's for sure.
I didn't care though, I honestly was so sore I didn't care if I caught another fish or not.
My buddy came down from the Cotter area where he had been chasing trophy browns the past couple of days, and he wanted to carry Woodyard fishing. :)
We fished from daylight till 11 a.m. before heading home and this was the last fish of the weekend and totally unexpected and only the third brown caught on the entire trip.
Probably the largest also. :)

Thanks again Woodyard for another lifelong memory (a pile of them) and an absolute perfect trip.
Helps alot when there is no emergency room and no fire departments involved. :)
When you get guided by someone that knows the when and where it makes for some awesome fishing that's for sure.

Awesome report. Glad yall had a great trip

That one fish is what some guys up there call "bullet heads". A lot of people see them in the river as they get up to 10lbs and think they are trout, they swim a lot different than a trout though if you watch them closely. On the bank in front of The White Hole, you can stand there some evenings and see 15-20 of them. I have seen people tie on huge treble hooks and snag them before.

RUGER":356mluth said:
They don't get much fresher than these. From river to livewell to grill in about 30 minutes.

This was supper the second night. Didn't get many pics of supper either night. By the time the eating rolled around we were both pretty wore out.
Dang, I thought I was doing good by packing a small skillet and backpacking stove up the mountain with me when I go. This puts my lunch to shame.

Buzzard Breath":4213013y said:
RUGER":4213013y said:

Dang, I thought I was doing good by packing a small skillet and backpacking stove up the mountain with me when I go. This puts my lunch to shame.

Little different situation for sure.
This required us to go back to the ramp and walk maybe 30 feet to the truck. :)

Cottontop":3aig8c70 said:
Yall stay at His Place again? I think we saw the same eagles in the same tree!!! Love it out there!!!!

My buddy that caught the brown did but woodyard and I stayed at Calico this trip.

I have fished the white river from the dam to the Buffalo River the last few years. I Usually go in feb/March depending on weather. The worse the better imo. I agree it's one of the treasures everyone should experience if you enjoy fishing. Usually stay at Gastons. What I go for Is the brown trout fishing. The other types only add to the enjoyment. The scenery is second to none and it takes me back to old times as they were in the 50s /60s. Y'all try it you won't be sorry. Great pics Ruger if I ever figure out how to post some I'll do some of mine.

Kaintuck":1follwzz said:
I have fished the white river from the dam to the Buffalo River the last few years. I Usually go in feb/March depending on weather. The worse the better imo. I agree it's one of the treasures everyone should experience if you enjoy fishing. Usually stay at Gastons. What I go for Is the brown trout fishing. The other types only add to the enjoyment. The scenery is second to none and it takes me back to old times as they were in the 50s /60s. Y'all try it you won't be sorry. Great pics Ruger if I ever figure out how to post some I'll do some of mine.

Where is Gastons located?

Latest posts

Back