• Help Support TNDeer:

White River trip

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I had the extreme pleasure, again, of going to the White River with woodyard.
This was also my first trout trip with scn.
As close to a perfect trip as anyone could ever ask for.
All told, best we can figure, in basically 2 1/2 days we boated probably North of 300 trout. No joke.

I didn't get alot of pictures, we were all busy catching fish, or untangling the mess I made by getting in scn's way while trying to fly fish. :D

I told him if he was still my friend after this trip he would never leave me. :rotf:
Look up googan and you will see my picture.

He had the patience of Jobe and taught me A LOT of stuff that helped me tremendously. Thank you sir!!!
Captain woodyard just chilled out, ran the boat flawlessly, showing off his extensive experience by putting us on the fish and keeping us on them the entire trip.
When he took a notion to, he caught fish too LOL

I had very little, read zero, confidence in the flyrod deal. I have used it several times and actually caught a trout or three on it but after about 10 minutes or so I would throw it down and pick my spinning rod back up and go to snatching fish again.
Well, after some tech knowledge and overall sharing of tips from the flymaster scn I was on it and I stayed on it till it just absolutely wore me OUT.

Before this trip my best day, numbers wise, was 53.
On Friday I didn't keep up with what all I caught but it was a BUNCH of fish.
On Saturday I landed 45 fish and 44 of them were on the fly rod. :shock:
Fun doesn't even come close to describe it.
I was sore all over, sun baked me and my face even hurt but that was from smiling allllll day.

I never landed any "really big" fish but did have a few that were 16 to 17 inches.

Great friends, BEAUTIFUL river, lots of laughs, lots of fish and good food.
I am a very lucky man, there is no doubt about that.

I just love that river, it is just so beautiful.

This was the one and only brown I caught. We tried multiple times to get a picture but I just couldn't hold on to him. He finally jumped, not only out of my hands but clean out of the boat. woodyard got a pic as he swam away. :rotf:

I think this was my first one on the flyrod of the day, just a pretty fish.

Another beautiful fish.

Little turtle man live action. LOL

The trout guide master himself, woodyard. :)

The flymaster scn keeping a watchful eye on trees, rocks and signs of trout life. :D

x2 on the great friends/great trip. You know it is fun when the fish are just icing on the cake! It was a special trip for sure. Ruger cooked all three evenings, and I ate better than I have in a long time! He KNOWS his way around a grill!

To say navigating on the White on low water is a challenge is an understatement. Terry showed his decades of running a boat over there the whole trip. We got to some places I really didn't think we could go, and I don't think we even touched the prop in doing so. He kept us in fish the whole trip, and there were zero issues in the whole deal. None of the trip would have worked without Captain Terry! What a true gentleman!

Ruger sandbagged me a little on the fly rod deal as he obviously had a little more time with the cork in his hand than I thought. He took to it really fast. It was fun to watch the kid in the candy store look when he found out that a trout WILL eat a size 18 midge! He did really well with his fly rod the whole trip.

And, before anybody gets too upset about the numbers, we ended up keeping six trout. We were going to do a shore lunch on Friday, and kept our first four to make sure we had a meal as there is never a given in fishing. When it came time to head in and do some cooking, we were whacking fish so strong that we decided that we would forgo the lunch and keep fishing. It was a great decision. Those four got cleaned, and we had two more that were deep hooked yesterday where they weren't going to live that came back to TN as well. All of the rest were immediately and carefully released.

It was a really special weekend with some great friends that I would have never met if it wasn't for Tndeer. This is indeed a special place for me.

It was probably one of the best trips I have ever had other than those with my son over the years as he grew up.
I do believe I caught more fish on Friday than any other trip.

I told them it was going to be "on" going down the road to the river both Friday and Sat and for once I was lucky and it happened. :lol:

Ruger is the guru with grilling a ribeye and most everything else too.
Thankfully no ER visits and no major damages to anything.

Just a pretty neat trip with friends.

CATCHDAWG":3his2y3l said:
Sounds like a great trip, congrats! You need to come east someday with your flyrod and felt sole's and I'll show you a different kind of trout stream!

I would love to do that but honestly I am not worthy with a flyrod for that trip just yet.

Who hooked who first?

A midge isn't going to really cause any damage, but I know someone had to have caught someone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath":v25l7qxo said:
Who hooked who first?

A midge isn't going to really cause any damage, but I know someone had to have caught someone else.

That would have been me on scn. :oops:
I stunk it up pretty bad several times.

RUGER":37e5uqyd said:
Buzzard Breath":37e5uqyd said:
Who hooked who first?

That would have been me on scn. :oops:
I stunk it up pretty bad several times.
:D

Don't feel bad. I've been doing this a long time and catch people regularly. I've caught complete strangers on the Caney.

TNRazorback":28qxj098 said:
Outstanding! I need to make my way over there soon. Did y'all camp, stay at a resort, or does "Big Time" Woodyard have a place over there?

We stayed at the hotel in Calico Rock.
I can't even remember the name of it.
Best I know of, it's the only one there. :D

RUGER":10dvdulf said:
CATCHDAWG":10dvdulf said:
Sounds like a great trip, congrats! You need to come east someday with your flyrod and felt sole's and I'll show you a different kind of trout stream!

I would love to do that but honestly I am not worthy with a flyrod for that trip just yet.
Man, I've taken people who have NEVER used a flyrod and put them on fish in these mountain streams. Y'all plan it out and let me know when you're coming. We could all camp and me and Buzz will guide! :tu:

Latest posts

Back