• Help Support TNDeer:

Winchester Model 37 Pigtail Red Letter .410 .....Pics added

Wiley

I reached Blind Hog status Saturday when I picked up an 'acorn' at my local gun shop. This is a little long but it all has to be said to get the story told.

When I was a teen my best friend had a Winchester Model 37 .410 shotgun that he squirrel hunted with. That was over 40 years ago and I've wanted one ever since. A couple of years ago I started researching this little gun on the web and found out that the early guns, 1936 to 1948 had red enamel in the lettering stamped into the bottom of the receiver and on the butt plate. These are the more desirable 37s and are known as the Red Letter guns. So I started occasionally looking at the online gun auctions and was shocked at what some were bringing.......$400 to $800 in several online auctions. Even the low end was out of my price range.

Last Sunday I was indulging in some adult beverages and logged on to Gunbroker. There were 2 listings for regular model 37s that I took interest in and one was a 'Pigtail" model. This gun was only made in 1936 and 37 and Winchester has no records of any .410 Pigtails ever being made. So I drank another beverage and placed a bid on each gun knowing that I'd probably be outbid and just forget the whole thing. By Monday morning I had won both at very reasonable prices and I was SHOCKED.

Fast forward to Saturday and my dealer calls and says he has received a gun for me from a gun shop in Maryland. I head on up and open the box. It was the Pigtail model and in better than describer condition. AND it's a Red Letter gun. WOW! I still can't believe what a deal I got from another gun shop. They just didn't know what they had and didn't list it as a Red Letter gun. This little gun has the normal finish wear and patina that one would expect from a gun from the mid 30s but has been well cared for and locks up tight as a vice, the ejector works perfectly and shoots like a dream. I'd rate it at 85 to 90% overall. It had been over 40 years since I had held one of these shotguns until yesterday when I picked this one up. The other shotgun has not arrived yet but it doesn't have the bottom of the receiver stamped with 'Winchester' so it won't be a Red Letter and the pics showed it to be an average gun at best.

I won the Red Letter auction at $266 and the other one at $190 and could not be happier about the good luck I had for probably the only time in my life in a gun purchase.

Re: Winchester Model 37 Pigtail Red Letter .410

Congratulations. I love the auctions on Gunbroker and as you have proved you can come up a Big-Time winner.
The secret to success is patience and knowing what you are bidding on.

MUP":3vtia291 said:
That is a great story, congrats! So, what's the deal about being a "pigtail"?

The Pigtail is the bar that breaks open the breech. the tail of the bar is rolled back onto itself. Instead of being a solid piece where your thumb pushes on the bar it has a teardrop shaped opening in it. See below....

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/29 ... bnail1.jpg

Standard break lever after 1937...also note the hammer is turned up. These guns have a real stout hammer spring and this hammer is easier to grip with the thumb.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup. ... 67086B.JPG

Sadly, my friend from all those years ago that had that little Model 37 became severely depressed when he was about 20 or so years old and shot himself thru the heart with his brother's 30-30. So it's bittersweet that I now have a shotgun like his but I wish he were still here so we could take both guns out for a hunt or 3.

Congratulations on not 1 but 2 good deals! I'm not really up on Winchester 37's but am aware of them. They seem to be nice single shot guns. The memories you have of your friends identical gun make it that much better. You are right that some good deals can be had on gunbroker.com. I've got a few over the years. You just have to make up your mind what your max price is going into it and not let emotion get in the way. There'll be another one like it come along sooner or later if you lose the auction.

The gunshop had no idea what a little gem that they had. This one has a 26" barrel and I believe after 1948 they went with a 28" barrel. A little shot of Kroil this morning and the ejector that was sluggish is now kicking empties about 5 feet. Everything else is A-OK :)

You can see a little of the red enamel in a couple of the letters

This shows the 'pigtail' break lever. From 1938 till end of production in 1963 this part was cast and stamped with knurling on each side where your thumb would push on it. Also of note is the turned down hammer which was turned up a few years after this model. Up turned hammers gave a better hammer pull since the hammer spring is real stout on these guns.

Back