• Help Support TNDeer:

Winter Trout

Mike Belt

You guys do much winter fishing? I haven't been in a long time but I used to catch some of my better fish then. Wading mid stream with a flyrod while snow was falling was always picturesque and a neat experience. I can remember "thumping" my frozen mustache and the hairs breaking off, lol.

I usually try to get to the White River for a trip in Jan or Feb or maybe both. I have been when I think low was 14. Tough but good fishing. Lots of trips, pretty much had the river to ourselves.Caught some nice size trout then too. A time or two I should have had more sense than to be out on it.

I tried brown trout fishing on the red river once in January. It was so cold with snow on the ground that we were knocking ice off our lines. A little old lady came out on her deck to look at us floating down the river. We must have been a strange sight because she just starred at us, then she shook her head in disgust, turned and walked back into her house. That was the last time I tried it. But I do like catching a few bows within walking distance of my house in Germantown after the state does their winter stocking.

I was up in the park fishing with a friend of mine just the other day. It was a cold but enjoyable day.

Winter is one of my favorite times to fish for trout. Very few people. It's a really good time to target big browns. Very few people and I can hit just the prime spots I've found over the years and not worry about fishing behind someone. And, as long as the roads are open, brookies will hit all year. One of my favorite trips was a day when I hiked into a high elevation and spent the day catching brook trout on grasshoppers in the snow. That was allot of fun.

dedb661572a171e2190e3e3e23605f94.jpg
5b68a250d74278237a6e103ab64f3057.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will go when woodyard or my other buddy says we are going. :)

One thing for sure if you ever go un-prepared ie: gloves & extra gloves, it sucks. LOL

We went Monday morning to the caney it was brutally cold. But we caught well over 75 trout in hours . I love winter time fishing!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Daniel90":1klpr5rr said:
We went Monday morning to the caney it was brutally cold. But we caught well over 75 trout in hours . I love winter time fishing!

In a boat or wading?
I was wondering the other day what the generation schedule was like this time of the year there.

RUGER":14v1d25j said:
Daniel90":14v1d25j said:

In a boat or wading?
I was wondering the other day what the generation schedule was like this time of the year there.
In a boat they are generating alot but fish are biting better than I've seen in months

Daniel90":2e2g0ci0 said:
RUGER":2e2g0ci0 said:
Daniel90":2e2g0ci0 said:

In a boat or wading?
In a boat they are generating alot but fish are biting better than I've seen in months

Awesome, thanks !

Latest posts

Back